Glasswire causing computer to crash

Whenever glasswire is downloaded on my computer, it crashes every 5 days or so, with the same error each time: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

I have pasted the information that i have of the crash, note whenever i get this crash, I always get these two in that order.

System Information (local)
Computer name: LAPTOP-5O1IJPVP
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: HP ENVY Notebook, HP, 81CE
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 12767887360 bytes (11.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\windows
C:\windows\Minidump

On Mon 1/21/2019 11:12:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\012119-8359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe(nt+0x1AA0A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x9A, 0x375ADD, 0x6, 0x2)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 1/21/2019 11:12:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: gwdrv.sys(gwdrv+0x23F6)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x9A, 0x375ADD, 0x6, 0x2)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gwdrv.sys
product: GlassWire
company: SecureMix LLC
description: GlassWire Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC).
Google query: gwdrv.sys SecureMix LLC PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Conclusion
2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

A while ago i had glasswire downloaded, and i got this crash a lot, as i said, every 5 days or so. But after i uninstalled glasswire i didnt get these crashes anymore, and i only recently downloaded it again a few days ago. I think i have the most recent version

1 Like

@Shadow_Wolf

One common cause of crashes with GlassWire is a database corruption.

In some unusual circumstances our database can become corrupted somehow and it causes a crash. If you uninstall GlassWire, reboot, then reinstall it using our “clean” install option does the crash go away?

If not please find the .dmp file that should appear on your desktop after a crash and email it to us using a cloud system like Google Drive. https://www.glasswire.com/contact/ - Please also include a link to this forum thread so I know what this is about.

If your GlassWire history is very important you can back it up before trying the clean install.
https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings

Thanks for a useful summary of your problem - most of us users don’t provide enough info.

Your info has given me some ideas which might be helpful.

How recently was this? Were you also using the same version of Windows (build 17134 which is version 1803)? It is possible that a Windows update could make a difference because there were changes in drivers and driver processing in 1803 and the previous version.

It is also worth checking that there is not some other underlying problem with your system:

1. Other drivers impacting the GlassWire driver
    If this were a GlassWire bug then I’d expect more reports from other users as has happened in the past. But this might be because you have a unique configuration and a driver for another device is the culprit. This has happened before, e.g., with Nahimic audio drivers.
    It may also be worthwhile checking if PFN_LIST_CORRUPT errors are happening on HP notebook models similar to yours. I would have checked myself but I couldn’t actually identify your model based on the info in your post.

2. Other drivers which are out of date.
    These three items (2-4) are discussed in this article:
    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-pfn-list-corrupt-error-on-windows-solved/

3. Faulty memory is a common cause but I’d expect this to affect more processes.

4. Corrupted data on your storage drive(s) again is unlikely but still possible.

I downloaded glasswire January 9th and im currently using version 2.1.140, the free version, and my computer does want to update to version 1803.

I ran a memory test after the crash and it said no errors were found, and my windows hard drive is working properly and is in good condition.
I do have an external drive that i save most of my apps on, though glasswire is on my windows drive

id like to ask, is it possible for antiviruses and other firewall apps could interfere with glasswire and cause these problems? I see that glasswire does have a firewall thing for the paid version
my antivirus is norton

Yes, it is possible for antivirus and firewall applications to interfere with GlassWire.

Antivirus software may generate false positives which means they identify GlassWire as a threat when it is not. This commonly occurs because:

• they have malware signatures that are equivalent to some GlassWire code. This is a risk for all software.
  • their behavioral may consider some GlassWire activities to be similar to those used by malware.

A related issue is that we should not run two antivirus in real-time mode because they are far more likely to interfere with each other’s operations, e.g. by trying to scan the same files and quarantine the same threats.

Firewall software is far less likely to interfere with each other but it can be confusing to have two separate firewall configurations with two different types of messages and notifications. That is why the first task of many third-party firewalls is to automatically turn off the Windows Firewall which is used by GlassWire.

So its happened again. Computer crashed, same stop code, and WhoCrashed is saying glasswire is the probable cause.

Does anyone have a place where i can upload the dump files? I have dump and minidump of this recent crash, and just the dump of the last one. Each are 1 gb or more, and it was 8 days and 4 hours between crashes, if that matters.

System Information (local)
Computer name: LAPTOP-5O1IJPVP
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: HP ENVY Notebook, HP, 81CE
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 12767887360 bytes (11.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\windows
C:\windows\Minidump

On Tue 1/29/2019 5:28:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\012919-7984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x34E6)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x9A, 0x22695, 0x6, 0x2)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: [Microsoft® Windows® Operating System](http://www.google.com/search?q=Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)
company: [Microsoft Corporation](http://www.google.com/search?q=Microsoft Corporation)
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 1/29/2019 5:28:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: gwdrv.sys (gwdrv+0x42E8)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x9A, 0x22695, 0x6, 0x2)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gwdrv.sys
product: GlassWire
company: [SecureMix LLC](http://www.google.com/search?q=SecureMix LLC)
description: GlassWire Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC).
Google query: [gwdrv.sys SecureMix LLC PFN_LIST_CORRUPT](http://www.google.com/search?q=gwdrv.sys+SecureMix LLC+PFN_LIST_CORRUPT)

Conclusion
2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

[gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC)](http://www.google.com/search?q=gwdrv.sys+SecureMix LLC+GlassWire)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

1 Like

Please use Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link with us via private email. Thanks for your report.
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Effective Ways to Fix Computer Keeps Crashing Problem

Fix 1. Cool the Computer.
Fix 2. Clean the Dust.
Fix 3. Check the Hardware Connection.
Fix 4. Check the Hard Disk Bad Sectors.
Fix 5. Replace or Upgrade Hard Disk.
Fix 6. Upgrade RAM.
Fix 7. Extend C Drive.
Fix 8. Update Drivers.

This may help you,
Rachel Gomez