GlassWire doesn't monitor bandwidth and data usage properly

Hello,

I just installed GlassWire on windows, and after using it for a full day, I noticed that data usage and bandwidth is not being monitored properly.
A clear example were I could tell was bandwidth speed was very slow compared to a P2P client I’m using to download with torrents, called Tixati.

Here’s a screenshot of the two compared side by side:
Screenshot_2018-07-13_090754_001

The total data usage for the past day shows as 11GB, where in fact around 30GB was downloaded.

Is this some known issue? Is there some fix for this?

Thanks!

@erlis

GlassWire warns after installation if you have a current connection going while GlassWire is installed it may not pick up that connection. Therefore GlassWire recommends you reboot after installation, but we don’t force you to reboot.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Indeed the issue was there. I should have paid more attention.
Everything is working fine now.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m glad it’s working. Thanks for using GlassWire!

i prefer re-open this cause :slight_smile:

several times i have experienced such since past. yesterday also that caught as well so i thought to let know(29) glasswire about this problem. currently i use glasswire last version (updated since many days)

as december 28
i used skype-desktop video calls and several other stream websites through google-chrome. just skype usage shows 12 MB and total usage for that day (include all of pc usage) 320 MB

i doubt because of skype usage. i also checked my ISP offers mobile-app for check router’s internet usage (that usage update from ISP’s system not via router). and then it showed 2.55GB for 28th dec.

(by the way i’ve made problems with our ISP about that data usage considering they’re wrong just their always suggestion put a data monitor into hardware based, so i’ll see who is wrong and other missing connection activities)
not only that, past also i’ve noticed randomly glasswire doesnt monitor exact data usage when download files (ex: glaswire log 10GB while real usage 15GB)/connections/stream from/to some sources and sometimes missing log ips(<<disappoint thing) (note: that doesnt happen everytime or for every download/connectivity sources)

@anon31151263

Here is an article about GlassWire data usage, and how we test for accuracy.
https://blog.glasswire.com/2016/06/15/glasswire-network-monitoring-accuracy/

If our counting is wrong, perhaps our service/driver is crashing on your PC? Do you ever notice that our graph is blank, or has an error? Do you see any .dmp files on your desktop?

perhaps our service/driver is crashing on your PC? No
Do you ever notice that our graph is blank, or has an error? No
Do you see any .dmp files on your desktop? No
that usage issue strange times happen, not common or maybe glasswire doesnt pickup it immediately for any certain reason, i dont care

but important thing as my ISP said, i saw glasswire missing log some ips rarely. instead glasswire logs it connected to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 (is google dns that i use) but also it logs other ips/domain as well for certain application which showed 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 ( i noticed that on ver 2.1.140 also)

see below screenshot, it shows connected to dns but hardware based monitoring shows whats the ip behind it that glasswire says its only dns

Please explain further as you’ve only provided half the story:

• What are the other IP addresses that you found related to the Google DNS servers?
  • What is the “certain application” as the application names have been overwritten in both your original and updated images?

Perhaps you don’t understand why DNS name resolution services works differently to most other network traffic. That is because the Domain Name System (DNS) is the primary directory system for the Internet, i.e. like a phone book.

The screenshots you show are entirely consistent with the use of an IPv4 DNS name resolution service:

• 8.8.8.8 is the primary Google DNS server which has only received 9.7KB of traffic and responded with 13.3KB of traffic.
  • 8.8.4.4 is the secondary Google DNS server which is used much less frequently as a fallback to the primary server so it has less traffic: received 0.04KB up and responded 0.01KB

Each of those IP addresses are not one physical device but many servers located in Google datacentres around the world. WIkipedia explains this:

The addresses are mapped to the nearest operational server by anycast routing.

I’m presuming that you have found the IP addresses of the actual node on the Google network that is resolving the DNS query. So here’s a list of the IP addresses for those locations - note that this may not be up-to-date simply because new locations are often being added as Google Cloud expands.

Are the additional IP addresses you found on that list? If so, then what GlassWire is logging is correct because it is the IP address that the DNS query was sent to that should be logged not the actual.IP address of the server resolving the name.