Glasswire.exe & GWCtlSrv.exe do not persist

Does the firewall protection continue or does it drop out when the some relevant .exe is killed?

In TaskMan, generally I would see:

• app: GlassWire.exe
  • background: GWIdlMon.exe = glasswire computer idle monitor
  • background: GWCtlSrv.exe = glasswire control service

Which of these (if any) is the actual firewall?

web systemexplorer does not help me

• Is glasswire.exe simply the UI? It does not recover if killed.
  • GWIdlMon.exe does restart if it is killed or fails.
  • GWCtlSrv.exe does not recover if killed. The service can be re-started.

Whichever is killed, the monitor icon in the notification area continues to be shown. It seems possible this is not indicating the true status, which would be giving a false impression. (Windows 10)

Sometimes I also see the all the .exe runnning, but the icon has vanished.

I was curious because I have sometimes noticed glasswire drop out & stop working in the early hours. Iā€™m not sure why, but I notice itā€™s gone, and I have not been notified of any failure as I would hope.

(The failure may be due to some other program such as a cleaner, rather than malware, but still I would like to be notified whe glasswire is stopped.)

Small note: incognito state does not persist when the service is restarted - but that is a separate question.

What I would like:

• the firewall to continue to function always, to restart components if killed unless stopped in an orderly manner.
  • to be notified if the firewall does fail, with advice to restart if not
    automatic.
  • for incognito status to persist (over restarts, indeed)

@methuzla

GlassWire uses the Windows Firewall API, so it continues to block when itā€™s not running and it continues to block when you upgrade between versions.

We will work on making ā€œIncognitoā€ stay on between restarts, etcā€¦ thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

@methuzla

GlassWire now remembers Incognito mode on restart. Go to www.glasswire.com to download the update.

2 Likes

Yippee :rofl::sunglasses:

Thanks.
(Just returned to email after a couple of days to find the good news.)

Hereā€™s a thought: when thereā€™s an update, could it be made to appear in ā€˜alertsā€™?
Then weā€™d know.

Now to get it to autostart with a skip_uacā€¦

1 Like

@methuzla, Great idea. I second that.

How about Glasswire updating itself?

1 Like