Glasswire fails firewall test. How to set firewall to protect these?

On w w w . grc . com it fails while it is testing Services/ShieldsUp/ All service ports

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system’s ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection. It is generally possible to increase your system’s security by hiding it from the probes of potentially hostile hackers. Please see the details presented by the specific port links below, as well as the various resources on this site, and in our extremely helpful and active user community.

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since “Ping” is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

1 Like

@luka

Today many computers are behind routers and Windows PCs by default no longer respond to pings so I’m not sure why this online test says you failed if you use Windows, unless you specifically changed your settings to purposely reply to pings?

http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-and-ftp-traffic-in-windows-10-and-server <- This article explains how to make your PC respond to Pings if that’s what you want to do, or if you already made it do this you can change your Windows settings to make it stop responding to pings.

For the “Solicited TCP Packets” test, I believe Windows also would pass this test on its own too unless you changed your settings somehow? I tried to look up more information but had trouble finding more information for Windows 10.

Was your GlassWire version in “Ask to connect” mode or “Click to block”? GlassWire does not block anything in “Click to block” mode, but you can block things later after they connect in that mode.

We use the Windows Firewall API to block applications because it uses less resources and people seem to trust it more, since they can see exactly what GlassWire is doing with the API. It can be scary to have an application disable Windows Firewall and replace it with some unknown thing.

1 Like

i have already disabled values for icmp in windows firewall. i checked just now. those are default values, i didnt changed anything.

it is in click to block mode. other one costs 49$.
so you are saying that free version doesn’t block anything?

@luka

The free version of GlassWire blocks whatever you want under its Firewall tab, it just doesn’t do it in “Ask to connect” in mode, before the connection happens.

Hello,
Sorry for my reply :slight_smile:
But I did the same test on this web site:
(https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=ping%3A5.198.186.199&run=toolpage)

But my firewall didn’t fail! you should consider if you are behind a nat router, you are secure! maybe you touch the settings in modem?
Glass wire is a win based firewall and its simple and effective.
if you are paranoid or you have some doubt then I suggest you to read more here:

1 Like

The GRC Shields UP! test sends data packets to your ROUTER or GATEWAY and not to your PC. Therefore the solution is to find the setting in your router or gateway that will make it not responds to Solicited TCP Packets. You may need to consult your ISP or the router’s or gateway’s manufacturer.

2 Likes