here’s the issue
I have a 3rd disk drive that’s used for a linux distro - this drive is not connected all the time and I only connect it if I need it
I do not know why, but me having this drive on-line and booted into Windows throws off GlassWire rules set out of the window and creates new ones or it just automatically blocks random processes / services
I talked about this a while back: GlassWire blocks legitimate svchost, completely blocking internet access but I did not knew at the time the exact cause
one of my HDDs had some issues and today I had to shuffle some stuff around to prepare a back-up
now I know for sure GlassWire does not like it when I’m adding and removing HDDs
ps: I keep the DB on the d: drive and it’s physically connected to SATA channel 2, my Win OS drive is on SATA channel 1 and my Linux drive is on SATA channel 0
I’m not sure what to suggest, but maybe moving the GlassWire database is useful in this case?
that won’t do anything
what I suggest is for the GW dev team is to look into why GW keeps messing the rules set when adding and removing disk drives
in my case, the DB was always on the d: volume
Oh, I get it now. I will ask the team how this could be possible. Sorry for the problem.
Our team thinks this is due to your drive letters changing. Can you assign a fixed drive letter to the new drive? If so the rules should stay as is.
the drive letter did not change a bit, not even once
when I have the Linux HDD plugged in, Windows cannot assign drive letters to the volumes because those volumes are ext4 formatted and Windows doesn’t know this format
my guess is that GW detects a change in the HW config and “does something”
ps: totally unrelated - I was right to move the DB from the SSD to the HDD, GW totally trashed my HDD, 200+ sectors got fucked exactly where GW’s DB was
Connecting a removable OS drive to SATA 0 is likely to be the problem. Search for Sata drive enumeration problems and you should find a lot of relevant issues - normally I’d provide links but I’m replying on mobile.
Which Version of Windows is being used? The issue was common on Windows 7 and with specific motherboard settings. I haven’t heard of it happening on Windows 10, which has changed some drive management, but iit could still be an issue there too.
So I doubt that this is a Glassware problem per se.
It is much better to have SATA connected:
0 Windows OS
1 Windows Data
2 Linux OS removable.
I’m on W10 x64 PRO - it could be just a Windows problem
why I’m reluctant to move the Linux drive on a lower SATA channel is because W10 has the nasty habit of overwriting the Linux boot
That problem is one of the reasons why we are safer having the Windows system drive first.
Linux never overwritten the Windows boot, but Windows did - that’s why I moved the Linux drive on SATA0 so it boots directly into it when I have that drive plugged in and powered
Windows overwriting the Linux boot loader is a different issue. I’d resolve that separately. It’s often incompatibilities with the BIOS/EFI configuration. The boot issue can also lead to the Linux boot loader hosing the Windows configuration - I’ve had that happen with several distros.
I’d then put put Windows back on SATA 0 so the removable drive is not there. I expect that to resolve your GlassWire problem.
If I had a desktop computer I’d try it myself but I only have laptops.