Glasswire is crashing Windows 11

Issue:

While browsing the web, nothing out of the ordinary, my system crashed with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I began some troubleshooting and here are the details of my investigation. Minidump is available for review, upon request.

Issue Summary:

• Operating System: Windows 11 Pro
  • Error Encountered: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (Bugcheck code 133)
  • Debugging Tool Used: Windows Debugger (WinDbg)
  • Suspected Driver: gwdrv.sys (associated with GlassWire)

Debugging Details:

• The system crashed with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, indicating a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
  • The debug output specifically warned that it was “Unable to verify timestamp for gwdrv.sys.”
  • The crash occurred in a system process, suggesting a driver or hardware issue.
  • The function where the crash occurred was nt!KeAccumulateTicks+3cd, part of the Windows kernel (ntkrnlmp.exe).

Steps Taken for Troubleshooting:

1. Analyzed the dump file using Windows Debugger (WinDbg).
  2. Identified gwdrv.sys as a potential culprit based on the debug output.
  3. Reviewed potential solutions, including updating or uninstalling the suspected driver (gwdrv.sys), checking for Windows updates, and running hardware diagnostics.
  4. Glasswire service has been stopped, and foreground application exited.

Hi @authex,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. This is actually a known issue and one that we are already in the process of rectifying.

Best,
Katie

Thank you Katie. Is there an ETA on the fix?

Hi @authex,

It is due for completion end of Q4. I will keep you updated if that changes.

Best,
Katie

@Katie_GlassWire thank you for the roadmap.

Is there any way possible to extend my key due to this? I haven’t been able to really use Glasswire since it’s driver may cause issues. Happy to discuss privately.

Hi @authex,

Please send the details to help@glasswire.com and the team can help you.

Katie