Glasswire Things Monitor

I am a new Glasswire Basic user and still finding my way around.

My network set up is Wireless Broadband via a router. Connected to the network permanently are laptop (on which I am typing this), newtork WiFi printer and Sonos sound system.

Under Settings > Security > Things Monitor, I am told that Glasswire will report all devices joining or leaving the network. I have checked the appropriate boxes but when devices such as mobile phone and/or tablet are connected to the WiFi, Glasswire does not report this.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
John

@John

What do your settings look like? There is one option to show only ā€œNewā€ unknown devices that join. Thatā€™s the setting I use because the constant coming and going of devices can become annoying.

Perhaps you have that option chosen?

If you go to the ā€œThingsā€ tab and press ā€œScanā€ do you see your devices? Also if you go to our general settings how often are your Things scanned for? There is also a Things related option under our general settings.

Thanks for your quick response Ken,

You have solved my problem.

In Settings > General > ā€œThings interval Scanā€ was set to 30 minutes so I changed it to 5 minutes. Basically, I was impatient! I expected devices which join or leave the network to show up very quickly.

I also didnā€™t realise that I can initiate a scan of ā€œthingsā€ at any time using the ā€œThingsā€ tab.

All devices are visible in the ā€œThingsā€ tab and the ā€œAlertsā€ section notifies me of devices joining or leaving. At the moment I have Settings > Security > Things monitor set to report all devices joining or leaving the network but once I am more familiar with Glasswire I will change that so only new, unknown devices are reported.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
John

2 Likes

Iā€™m just trying to figure out what this is! Of the top 5 search results, there is this, a notice that a scan is taking 24 hours, one talking about the Internet of things (toasters, fridges, speakers, thermostats, etc), and a few totally unrelated.

Of note, the OP has the free version? ā€˜basicā€™ userā€¦
under the general tab ā€œThings scanā€ interval is unchecked. ā€“ makes no mention of needing the paid version

under security, ā€œthings monitorā€ is listed as a buy option.

perhaps its not working because John has the basic vs paid version?

Iā€™m not sure that I understand your post Julie.

In my previous post I mentioned that everything was working fine. The problem I had was remedied by changing the Settings > General > Things interval scan to 5 minutes instead of the default 30 minutes.

The basic version is not free if you want to use Glasswire for a year or more. It becomes a subscription service after 7 days (I think itā€™s 7 days).

Iā€™m not sure what you are running when you say that a scan is taking 24 hours. To my knowledge, thereā€™s no scan in Glasswire that would take 24 hours.

Regards,
John