GlassWire will let you know when a new app connects - "ask to connect" firewall allow or deny connection

Hello… your newsletter says “ GlassWire will let you know when a new application tries to access the network. You can then allow or deny the connection.” How do I do that?I have the paid version and I do get a notice when a new application has connected but it’s after the fact. Appreciate any advice you might share. Cheers

@Dewbear

Thanks for buying GlassWire.

First go to GlassWire’s Firewall tab and turn on the firewall. Now choose “Ask to connect” under the firewall menu. https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Firewall_Tab

ask_to_connect

For our Android app you can do the same, just look under the Firewall tab where it gives the option to block newly installed apps from connecting. https://www.glasswire.com/android-help/#glasswire-firewall

Thank you for your response. I received a notice that windows firewall is disabled by McAfee Personal Firewall. Any idea if I’m better off with windows firewall and Glasswire firewall or McAfee Personal Firewall. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers

@Dewbear

You can probably use both Mcafee and GlassWire. This is how to disable Mcafee firewall and use ours, without getting rid of Mcafee.
https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101322

Also, many IT and Information Security professionals use GlassWire purely as a network security monitor and never turn on our Firewall at all. The most powerful parts of GlassWire are its network monitoring capabilities in my opinion.

2 Likes

@Ken_GlassWire @Dewbear This IT/ INFOSEC guy :+1: :+1: uses GlassWire purely as a network security monitor.

I have another, third-party (not McAfee) multi-vector security suite performing the firewall functions. Mostly out of my desire to not re-engineer my home network.

2 Likes

@netninja_jk

Good to hear! Thanks for using GlassWire.

Just curious, but what is your GlassWire configuration when you allow a 3rd party firewall to run the firewall functions.

That’s a broad question.* Which aspect, specifically?

*not to mention one which I reserve the right to not answer, naturally

Specifically how to disable GlassWire Pro firewall so that it does not conflict with a 3rd party firewall software, yet still allows for GlassWire traffic monitoring…

@zzz00m

If GlassWire’s firewall is set to “Off” it absolutely does not touch the Windows Firewall API at all and cannot conflict with anything. Rules will only be added if you switch it to “On”.

Many IT/Infosec Pros use GlassWire and they don’t want to touch their pre-made rules and in some cases people use GlassWire primarily as a network security monitor.

2 Likes

Hi! I just purchased Glasswire, but it seems to be quite useless if you have Mcafee installed and running as well.
Even if you switch off Mcafee Firewall, like Ken said, Glasswire still doesn’t work.
Is there a way to totally disable or delete mcafee firewall, or to make Glasswire bypass Mcafee?

Thanks in advance!

@Leuname

Sorry for the issue. I think there is a solution though.

From what I understand there are several versions of Mcafee. They have this guide to help you disable their firewall. It is not recommended to use two firewalls simultaneously.
https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_05484ea932c6/Page29.jspx?wc.contextURL=%2Fspaces%2Fcp&articleId=TS101322&_afrLoop=250804288130410&leftWidth=0%&showFooter=false&showHeader=false&rightWidth=0%&centerWidth=100%#!%40%40%3FshowFooter%3Dfalse%26_afrLoop%3D250804288130410%26articleId%3DTS101322%26leftWidth%3D0%25%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26wc.contextURL%3D%2Fspaces%2Fcp%26rightWidth%3D0%25%26centerWidth%3D100%25%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D2auafxo5f_9

Yes I know you can disable Firewall in Mcafee.
The only thing is that Glasswire will still pop-up a message saying that It can’t enable Firewall because of Mcafee Firewall.

So even when mcafee firewall is disabled, Glasswire still doesn’t work.

If there is no workaround to this, I will ask my money back, because before purchase I didn’t know this would be a problem.

Thank you in advance for the help!

@Leuname

I’m sorry to hear the version of Mcafee you use makes it impossible to disable their firewall even though they give clear instructions on how to do so as linked above. You might want to open up a ticket with them. Very strange!