Hosts Question From a Newbie

Hi All-

A couple of questions about ‘hosts.’ I took a screenshot of what Glasswire is currently showing on my PC. I just recently got Glasswire and am trying to teach myself how to use it, and was wondering if someone could tell me what the number 472 represents below - I know nothing (obviously :o) about networking and am doing my best to try and understand how to use Glasswire. I was hacked recently and fear that my hackers have returned, and when I see large numbers like that I get worried. Is that number normal? Sometimes it will get up to 1800 or so, FYI.

Also, I purchased Glasswire in hopes to be able to block apps and IP addresses from my network, and understand how to block apps but could use any other help in reviewing my connection to determine if I am currently being hacked/how to configure my network to rid myself of unwanted intruders.

Many thanks!

It’s the number of hosts you connected to. In my opinion, since it’s a browser it’s probably normal.

We don’t block hosts because we found blocking hosts just causes technical problems for our users, so we focus on blocking apps. Thanks for your feedback on considering host blocking.

Your image is showing that “472” is the number of hosts (web servers) that your current Firefox session is connected to.

In today’s web, it is normal for a connection to a single web URL to simultaneously open up dozens, or even hundreds, of simultaneous connections.

In most cases it is normal, as the web page often needs to get resources (such as fonts, images, and other content) to display the page correctly.

In the old days of the web, all content at a website was often contained at a single location. But that is no longer the case. Some are 3rd party affiliations that provide certain content and advertising networks that display ads, and that gather metrics. Some are just “trackers” that marketing companies use to follow you around the net.

You could just turn off all web scripting to stop much of this, but that would effectively break your web experience. Most of it is harmless, but you can use browser add-ons such a uBlock Origin to minimize ads and tracking and the potential for connecting to a bad host with its built-in host filters.

For a real eye opener, try the add-on Disconnect. It has a graphic “Visualize page” that shows all of the hosts that a single web page opens a connection with. This offers to block known trackers for you.

Disconnect---example-for-MSN.com

Thanks to you both. Very much appreciated. I’m trying to muddle my way through this as best as possible. Are there any videos that explain, in detail, step-by-step how to interpret and use the data that is given? If there are any tutorials for beginners that you could recommend that would be great. I guess I"m still unclear as to what to look for if I think I’m being hacked, and what the different apps and programs mean.

For instance, in the screenshot below you’ll see that I’ve circled a few different things. If anyone is up for a quick explaination as to what these numbers and terms mean that would be great. I truly want to learn and would love to find some video and/or tutorials for beginners that might get me started.

Lastly, when one notices their computer running very slowly and feels that someone might be currently hacking their network, what is the best thing to check right away on Glasswire that would be a dead giveaway that someone has hacked their network? Any and all info is greatly appreciated - thanks!

FYI, the far right column at the bottom says that their are 1371+ hosts attached - is that unusually high? If so, what action should I take?

Here’s one that is stumping me, I see here that there is a correlation from Chrome and my Roku device (attached to my TV.) Can anyone advise as to what Chrome and my Roku have to do with each other and what the faded grey numbers are?

Thanks for the help, I’m learning one step at a time!

We have several help guides here.

Thanks!

Thanks, Ken and apologies on the late reply. I have seen the guides and am still having a bit of trouble understanding the correlation between the Roku (on my TV) and my Chrome browser on my PC, and what the connection is. Any ideas on that?

I also have another question about a warning that I received today, but I will list that in a separate topic for clarity’s sake. :smiley:

Thanks again!

Browsers connect to hundreds of sites during a session. The longer your session, the more sites connected to. Besides content related to what you are seeking there are many ad related to support the site. Probably some telemetry for usage metrics and statistics thrown in with regularity too.

GW works better if you install it right after wiping your computer clean … then you can see everything that’s connecting for the first time!

1 Like

If you want to see everything connecting for the first time, it might be easier to just reset your Windows Firewall to default, and then clean re-install GlassWire so that all rules are wiped out. Set “Ask to Connect”, so you are in control of all blocked and allowed connections.