How do I block specific hosts?

Is there anyway to block specific ip/websites that an application access without me editing my host file manually?

1 Like

Blocking hosts is a common request and we’re working on adding this feature in the future.

4 Likes

For the moment you can use the following syntax to block an ip to the windows firewall:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=“telemetry_sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com” dir=out action=block remoteip=65.55.252.93 enable=yes

2 Likes

I would be intrested to get have this as an option in the alert popup.
Sometimes you want to block access to certain advertising/telemetry hosts but not to those necessary for the application.
A allow every host but this list and block everything except those hosts, with wildcards would be great.

3 Likes

I also need to be able to block hosts by name without editing hosts file.

4 Likes

This would be a nice feature to have! Any progress yet?

5 Likes

Yes please, and have to ability to block IP address, because some hosts can have a shared IP address.

3 Likes

Yeah, It would be a nice feature. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Is this even in progress or just on roadmap? I keep hearing this will be a feature since 2015… what’s the actual truth here?

1 Like

Ditto on other comments noting no progress on this front yet. When is this going to happen? It’s been promised for years now.

1 Like

@tagger9 What apps besides browsers do you want to block hosts for? How would you use this feature? Thanks for your feedback.

Here are two situations where I would use such a feature multiple times today just off the top of my head:

In windows 10 I have a weather radar app, and would use it to block the ads but allow the radar to load. I could use this for a few other misc windows programs and wouldn’t have to do it at the firewall or router which would make my life easier… I would also use it as a one click solution to disconnect troublemakers that show up from time to time on some multiplayer game servers I host as a hobby.

I could keep listing things if you like, but it would be a very useful feature for me, and I really hope this can be worked in to glasswire somehow! This is the reason why I’m here on the forum this afternoon… I was hoping to see it this feature had been added because I just got a notification on the server PC that glasswire had an available update.

1 Like

I also host game servers occasionally, and host blocking would be a godsend if it could be properly implemented.

I do have to ask though, if host blocking were implemented in GW, how would it basically function? Would it be IP based, or would we have to block a specific host/IP range, which could effect others?

In a lot of older multiplayer servers there was either UUID or that was dealt with by a 3rd party like Punk Buster or something along those lines, but is either not used anymore or exploited by everyone and their brother due to its age and lack of updates. That means in the event of a problem, I’m creating a server or a network firewall rule, and I do so with the understanding that it most likely is some kid’s residential dynamic IP so it won’t be permanent for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe a timed expiry of a ban would be a good thing, or at least a notification that something is blocked if you forget about it.

For applications that have ads in them, it would be nice to have both a whitelist and blacklist feature that could be toggled for each application. Some have hundreds of different ads being served over just as many servers.

Ill think about this more, and I don’t mean to be ‘that guy’ that wants a feature and provides zero ways or ideas how to implement it haha

2 Likes

Double click the hosts file and open it using Notepad or some other text editor. Create a new line at the bottom of the file by tapping Enter. On the new line, paste in the IP 127.0. 0.1 and then type the URL of the domain you want to block.

Greetings,
Peter

1 Like