How to remove all GlassWire folders and data

It is best to uninstall GlassWire before removing all its folders and files.

GlassWire folder locations

GlassWire has folders and files in the following locations for Windows 10. The locations may be different for other Windows versions.

GlassWire programs

%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire
Windows defaults to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire

GlassWire program data and settings

%ProgramData%\GlassWire
which is the same as:
%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\GlassWire
Windows defaults to:
C:\ProgramData\GlassWire

GlassWire Start Menu items

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\GlassWire
Windows defaults to:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\GlassWire

GlassWire desktop icon:

%HomePath%\desktop
Windows defaults to:
C:\Users\username\desktop

User application settings

Remember that username is the username you logged on with:
%LocalAppData%\GlassWire
which is the same folder as:
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\GlassWire
and:
%SystemDrive%\Users\username\AppData\Local\GlassWire
Windows defaults to:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\GlassWire

Delete or rename GlassWire folders and files

Find the folders or files with Windows File Explorer

There are several ways to locate files or folders in Windows but we’ll only show you how to use Windows File Explorer.

1. Press Windows+X to run File Explorer.
  • Copy any of the folder addresses from the list of GlassWire folders. Highlight the text and press Ctrl+C to copy.

• Remember that you will have to replace the generic username in the location examples with the actual username you logged-on with.

• Paste the address into File Explorer by clicking in the Address Bar and pressing Ctrl+V

• You can now see the folder contents and delete or rename the files.

Delete or rename folders or files

Deleting and renaming program folders requires a Windows Administrator account.

Be careful not to delete files that you want to keep.
Be careful to remember the original name of files you rename if you think that you might need to restore the.
Always consider taking backups before deleting or even renaming.

Delete

To delete a file or folder, select it and press Delete or Del.

You will probably have to confirm the deletion in a dialog.

If you want to delete an entire folder you have located then click on (up arrow) at the left of the address bar. That will take you up the folder hierarchy to the parent folder. In the screenshot you can see that the folder we came from is highlighted:

Rename

Follow the instructions for deleting folders and files but instead of using the delete keys, press F2 to rename an individual file or folder.

Issues?

The files are locked by a third-party firewall

If you are not using the Windows Firewall and are using a third-party (not provided with Windows) firewall then turn if off temporarily.

GlassWire needs to be restarted

Stop the GlassWire control service if it is running and restart GlassWire.

You have several options for stopping GlassWire:

A. Exit GlassWire

1. See if the GlassWire icon is visible in the Notification Area (also called the System Tray) which is usually at the right-hand end of the taks bar at the bottom of your screen.
  • Right-click on the GlassWire icon.
  • Select Exit

B. Use Windows Task Manager to terminate the GlassWire process

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to run Task Manager (tskmgr.exe).
  • Find the GlassWire Control Service GWCtlSrv.exe.
  • Right-click on the service.
  • Select End task to stop it running.

Another program is locking the files

Third-party unlock tools may be needed to remove a file lock.

:pencil2: How to improve this topic

This is a wiki post, like all the other #how-to topics, so feel free to improve the content. Just leave a reply explaining what you’ve done and why it makes sense to do it that way.

If this topic helped you then please :heart: it so we can see what is most helpful to people.

2 Likes

Very useful information! Thanks for sharing :smiley:

Though i renamed all the directories i am still unable to install a new version. Apparently somehow the new version is still detecting a prior installation and is failing when it tries to uninstall. I suspect registry entries. If probable, may we have a list of these that i can kill please?

Edit: So after not hearing from anyone for hours (OK, i get it, most of the world isn’t in my times zone!), i went ahead and deleted every reference to Glasswire in my registry. That let me reinstall. Then the issue is activation - according to some old posts an email is sent after purchase with the activation code on it. I can search all my emails back to roughly 2015, and i purchased Glasswire in 2023. I guess i must have somehow stupidly deleted it. So i went through the web interface, deleted the duplicate but seemingly older computer that it showed on which i was running Glasswire, then after a couple computer restarts and several Glasswire restarts, i reconnected and it was properly upgraded to Premium.

Probably wouldn’t have been so frustrating if i wasn’t also fighting with the IRS to get my Federally authorized PIN to get me taxes accepted at the same time…

Just too much fun today.