Internet access changed alert behavior

Hello:
FWIW, the following is happening on an LG gram 17 Model 17Z90N-R.AAC8U1 computer, using an i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30 GHz 1.5 GHz processor, with 16.0 GB memory, a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB SSD, a Seagate 5TB Backup Plus USB HDD, connecting through a wired 1 GB Ethernet network to a Comcast approved Aris modem and then Comcast. The computer is running Windows Pro 10, version 10.0.18363, Build 18363.900. Glasswire Elite 2.2.210 is installed on the machine, and I use Windows Security/Defender as an anti bad things tool. Also observed on several other similar machines on the same network.
I use the subject alerts to keep an eye on Comcast, which gets into ruts and loses connectivity frequently where I live. The alerts seem to generally give me a good idea of when Comcast went down, and have corresponded to my observations that the modem is rebooting again and/or other signs I am no longer connected to the Internet.
However, the Glasswire alerts never told me when Internet access was restored.
Then about the time I installed version 2.2.201, (on May 21st), on May 23, I started seeing alert notifications that followed the “Internet access changed” with the sub note “Internet connection was lost”. The follow on note said “Internet access changed” with a sub note “Internet connection now available”.
I thought wow, this is just what I’ve always wanted from that function - so I could see what Comcast was doing to me, (since they rarely admit to outages), and I could tell them how long each outage was without testing for the return myself with some other program.
However, this happiness on my part was short lived. It appears it was working from May 23 through June 13th or so. The next “lost” message was on June 23rd, but I didn’t see an “available” message after that Comcast outage, nor after subsequent outages, since then. I updated to Glasswire version 2.2.210 on June 18th, so it appears my joy was killed off by the update to version 2.2.210.
So, is this all my imagination, or was the “return” feature added and then removed? Or, if it is a setting I unwittingly turned on and then turned back off, how do I get it back?
Thanks
BobC

@BobC

Can you go to your top left GlassWire menu and choose “settings” then “security” and see if it was switched off somehow?

I think we may have this setting turned off by default with our latest version.

Yes, the setting was switched “on”, as well as the “show desktop notification”. And, I do get the loss of connection message, in all cases and versions. Its just the connection was restored message, that I received for the brief period during which version 2.2.201 was installed - not before and not after.

Thanks,
BobC

1 Like

@BobC

There were some known bugs with 2.2.201. I recommend updating to 2.2.210 and see if the issue is solved. Please double check your settings after updating.

Hi & Thanks for the replies:

I guess I wasn’t clear, but I have isolated the issue to the old versions pre 2.2 and the current version - 2.2.210. The only version that worked to let me know when connectivity was restored was the 2.2.201 version, which I had installed between May 23rd and June 13th.

Could this desirable feature been missed in the 2.2.210 update?

Thanks again,
Bob

Currently all boxes are checked:

Thanks,
Bob

1 Like

@BobC

I don’t believe anything changed but I’ll ask our team and see.

Thanks for the update. To me, this was a “new feature” in version 2.201, and it was lost in the upgrade to 2.210. So the bug, if any, was introduced in the newer version. If nothing was changed, then why did GlassWire start giving me these new, desirable messages upon restoration of internet connectivity after I installed version 2.2.201, (which I did on May 21st, 2020), and stop giving those messages after I installed version 2.2.210, (which I did on Jun 18, 2020). I’m not saying there was a deliberate change, but I really liked the performance of this feature in version 2.2.201, (messages on RESTORATION OF Internet connectivity as well as loss of same), and now the restoration messages seem to be gone again. I have checked the settings, and they are OK, per my notes above. What other things that I have control over, could cause this change in behavior, which appears to coincide with the version changes in GlassWire?

FWIW, the ability to go back through my logs, to see the dates when I upgraded GlassWire, and when the added messages about restoration of Internet connections started happening and then disappeared again, are an example of why I like GlassWire so much. Finding those details in Windows logs could probably be done, but it would be much harder for me. Overall, a great product that helps us to see many of the changes going on in our computers in an easily understood fashion. Great product.

I will be very interested in what you hear from the developers, on this detail.

Thanks again,
BobC

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’m seeing the same behavior. Back in the day, GlassWire showed me the “reconnect”. And then it stopped. So, recently it started showing the “reconnect” again, and I was pleased. But on the most recent update, it stopped again. I would prefer to see it. I’m thinking of dropping Xfinity (Comcast?) because it disconnects me 3-4 times a week. (It also gets rillyrilly slow from time to time.)

1 Like

Many types of PCs go to sleep and leave the network when sleeping. So we thought this alert was a bit annoying because it would appear every time a PC would wake up. That’s why the setting is off by default.

@MikeS Are you sure you are really having total network outages, or could it just be your PC is sleeping?

Hi @MikeS:

Thanks for the post. Its comforting to know its not just me. As for Comcast, I would have moved on long ago, but in our area, there are really no substantially better alternatives, so, for the time being, I’m stuck with them. And I do see periods of solid connectivity for even a week or two. But then there are periods when there are several drops within an hour. And of course, when you call them on it, there are rarely any outages… As to speed, I can’t complain too much, and the source web sites are often the problem I see. Sigh…

Thanks again,
BobC

Happy 4th of July:

Really good point on the potential for computer or network power related “apparent” outages.

In my case, I leave my machines running 24/7, and have disabled sleep and hibernation. And I see relatively continuous local network traffic. In addition, I have multiple computers on the local network, and they all report similar loss of Internet connectivity. Finally, there is essentially 100% consistency with the GlassWire reported loss of connectivity and observed problems, such as the inability to complete Internet based activities with various service providers, like banks, Amazon, etc. So I am relatively sure GlassWire is appropriately reporting real loss of Internet connectivity.

Hi Ken: My computer never sleeps. There’s an option somewhere (power management?) where you can set it up to keep the screens always alive and the machine always thinking. It works. I might mention that though this usually happens in the middle of the night, it does, on occasion, happen while I’m working.

Hi Ken:

After reviewing this thread, it appears that there are not many interested users, although I haven’t heard anyone complaining about the brief availability of both loss of Internet connectivity AND its RETURN. I still have version 2.2.201 running on one of my machines, and once again, this morning, as Comcast dropped Internet connectivity for 9 minutes and then 6 minutes again, just as my wife was about to host a Zoom meeting … ARGH.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if the return information could be made available again, in the next update - since it is pretty clear to me now that it was version 2.2.210 that removed this feature, after we saw it in version 2.2.201.

Can you tell me if this feature was intentionally removed in 2.2.210, and if there are plans to restore it in the next update. If not, or regardless, is there a better place to request this? Please let me know and I will do so, also referencing this thread.

Thank you,
BobC

@BobC

I just shared this data with my team. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

@BobC

Our next update will revert back as you requested so GlassWire works as it used to. Please be on the lookout.