Is Glasswire 3.0 mobile compatible with a VPN

I have recently purchased NordVPN primarily for my laptop however the mobile phone version is part of that subscription. On the laptop they co-exist but appear to be incompatible with a VPN on th mobile as I can either have the Glasswire firewall engaged or the VPN but it seems not both, Nord the supplier of the VPN do not seems to have a satisfactory solution so I wanted to know if there is a way around this or will I just have to not bother with a firewall on my mobile phone.

@Topper

Unfortunately Android only allows one VPN at a time, and the only way we can block apps is through a local VPN .

We’re trying to see if it’s possible to add the ability for GlassWire to act as your VPN software to solve the issue. Most VPN services offer a way for you to use any VPN client you want to access their VPN, for example PIA offers this.

Hello,
You may want to check this article: https://kb.adguard.com/en/android/solving-problems/adguard-outbound-proxy . I also use GlassWire and NordVPN simultaneously, and I set up a proxy as described there.

3 Likes

@Trinitrotolueno

Wow, thank you for posting that! I’ll need to read more about this and try it myself. I didn’t realize it was possible.

Thanks for that @Trinitrotolueno
I will have a read and try to absorb the details and attempt to implement as you have done

Regards

1 Like

In fact Android does not allow two VPN services to run simultaneously on a unrooted device. What I interpreted from my reading is that their software - which I also use - can be configured to redirect traffic thru a NordVPN proxy.
I apologise, I was excited that they proposed this solution, that I forgot to mention that I was also using AdGuard. But it would be interesting if in a future release GlassWire can use this feature too.

Yes it seems that there is no way to input proxy details in Glasswire at the moment well not that I can find anyhow, hopefully Ken can suggest they implement that soon.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no way for now. That’s why I’m suggesting to include this feature in a future release because it can be an added value.

1 Like

Maybe it could be possible to use GlassWire firewall feature and NordVPN (or any other VPN) simultaneously, like AdGuard and NordVPN, for example.

1 Like

adguard has their new vpn service and both apps work seamlessly together. so you can get the adguard and the VPN at the same time. It uses the proxy socks features. I picked it up a while ago and noticed this. Came to these forums to see if there was such a way with glasswire.

If GW could manage a way to enable a type of SOCKS feature (or however adguard is doing it with other VPNs and their own) then that’ll make the usefulness of glasswire on mobile way higher. I’d definitely buy into that.

@unreal

Very interesting, we will check it out!