Is GlassWire 'double counting' some data in certain circumstances? - RETRY

Hi,

After getting GlassWire set up last night I was streaming via a VPN, using Google Chrome for 2 - 3 hours.

When I looked at the GW graph it seems to have added the data used by Chrome as well as the data used by the OpenVPN Daemon into the total - see attachment.

Is this wrong or does VPN somehow cause the amount of data usage to double (doubtful)?

Thanks

Some VPN providers can increase traffic because the traffic must be encrypted, then sent again.

Hi Ken,

Yes, I know there’s an overhead … there’s a page on top10vpn site that goes into detail regarding mobile data usage, but it also applies to Data via an ISP. (sorry, can’t post the link)

The point that I didn’t explain very well was that almost ALL of the Google Chrome data in the screenshot was for streaming using OpenVPN protocol. I don’t use Chrome for much else - as you can see, I use Waterfox to browse usually. SO, GW has the data usage by OpenVPN Daemon as 3.6GB and Google Chrome data usage as 2.4GB, which pretty much ALL went through the OpenVPN Daemon.
GW is then obviously adding BOTH of these values into the total, when almost all of the Chrome data is already included in the OpenVPN Daemon value.

I hope that’s more understandable now.

Thanks

Hi Ken,

So , should the VPN traffic be included in the data total when it’s included in other applications, like browsers, that are actually using the VPN??

As one thing people use GW for is to manage data caps, total data usage being accurate is important.

Indeed, if GW is accurate, I would use it to manage my own mobile data cap.

Thanks
Marc

Hi Ken,

I’d very much appreciate a response, as my trial has now expired so I’m about to make a decision whether to spend money on GlassWire.

Thanks
Marc

Sorry for the issue. If you check the data stats with another app do they show the same? It’s hard for me to comment because all VPN services can work in different ways.

I apologize for the delay, I was out for a week.