Is Npcap Loopback Adapter a part of Glaswire

Hi,

I have been trouble with connections with my VPN = PIA since this Npcap Loopback Adapter appeared after a recent Dec 2017 win 10 update.

While I can connect to PIA via the browser app I can not connect via their windows app.

Could Glasswire be causing this problem and how is this new Network Adapter involved.

I have never consciously installed the Npcap Loopback Adapter.

Any help would be gratefully received.

@laopa

Npcap Loopback Adapter is not a part of GlassWire. It may be related to Wireshark I think if I remember correctly?

If you are having connectivity issues please be sure you’re using the latest version of GlassWire, and try using our “clean” install option, or maybe even try our beta in the forum. GlassWire also has an option to reset your firewall which we recommend.

NPCAP is a software library used by sniffer programs like the matching front-end Nmap and the popular Wireshark @Ken_GlassWire mentioned.

Earlier versions of the library were called WinPcap and Libpcap.

https://nmap.org/npcap/

I have completed a “clean” install of the latest Glasswire Version and am still having the same problem with the VPN = Private Internet Access (PIA) Windows App.

However connecting to the VPN = PIA via their Browser App for Chrome based Browsers works perfectly.

I kinda understand what it is but can not figure out how it got installed on my system. I do not remember consciously installing it as a stand alone and I do not use Wireshark and or Nmap.

Maybe it is part of something else on my system.

The problem and frustration is that every thing was fine with my system and the VPN until January 2018.

I am guessing an update of something has turned over the “apple cart”. What update exactly I don’t know.

Windows 10 is always a suspect.

@laopa

When you reinstalled GlassWire 2.0 did you check the box to reset the Windows Firewall during the install process, then did you reboot after? That would make sure there is no Windows Firewall rule that’s somehow blocking your VPN.

GlassWire should work great with all VPN software.

Sorry I might have missed that option. I will run another “clean” Install with the option to Reset Windows Firewall Rules to Default option checked before my next reboot.

As I am in the middle of some things I can only get to that later.

I will report back on the results.

1 Like

Well what do you know.

I reinstalled Glasswire again with the “clean install” and “reset firewall to default” options checked and voila every thing with my PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN Windows App is fixed.

Can’t thank you enough Ken and Glasswire for the great support.

laopa

1 Like

You wouldn’t believe it but the exact same thing just happened to my kid’s (attending University) Win 10 HP Laptop.

Completed a Windows Update (they are not very proactive with updates, scans, maintenance etc.) and the VPN PIA Windows App no longer worked. Exact same Windows Firewall blocking issue.

Luckily, after spending near on 2 weeks with my desktop and the exact same problem we were able to sort it out in short time.

We can’t be the only ones out here facing this problem?

laopa

1 Like