Items Blocked in Firewall unblock themselves

I have had two cases now where I have clicked to block an app only to have it unblock itself a few days later.

In my case, the two apps were Microsoft Office Click-to-Run (SxS) and Java™ Platform SE binary.

They may have unblocked themselves following a version update - the Microsoft app seems to have an “Application info changed” alert close to when I noticed it was no longer blocked. That may or may not be the case, of course.

In any event, this has happened to me more than once, and seems to be a pretty serious flaw for a firewall product!

Edit: This may be unrelated, but it’s interesting.

Here you can see an application I have blocked happily using the network. See screen shot. App line 1 and App line 4. Is that normal? It even shows an external domain, so I don’t think it’s local traffic.

Ugh. New paying users can’t post links? Ok. Go here:

@Al_Hunt

Does anyone besides you use your computer? Do you use any other firewall related software that could also make changes to the Windows Firewall?

Could you try uninstalling GlassWire, rebooting, then reinstalling with our “clean” option? Unfortunately you will lose your data but this will help us rule out any problems.

I’m the only one that uses this computer, and the result shown is immediately following a full reinstall.

The only other software I use is WIndows Defender.

I have to say, the more I’m using GlassWire the more it seems to be much flash with very little substance.

The UI is very pretty, but overly limited. It chooses looks over compliance with time trusted UI standards.

The “firewall” isn’t. Based on your comments, it’s just a very limited interface to the pre-existing Windows Firewall and can’t protect its own settings. What’s the point? That’s just deceiving. Better it didn’t exist at all.

The mini-graph, which could be a nice feature doesn’t even live up to the standards of your own web sites screen shots (which clearly show features it does not have).

It doesn’t “monitor your network” as advertised without an upsell - it monitors traffic local to the single PC. In my experience it has problems doing that very well - missing data and applications.

It’s sold as a complete product, but your forum is filled with promises to notify the developers about adding features that should already be foundational.

Cheers,
Al

Al, I’m won’t refute anything you say other than 1) I don’t see any major issues with the UI as I find it to provide very intuitive management given current standards. 2) While obviously Glasswire runs on only one machine, it provides “network monitoring” via the remote monitoring functions. While that is currently an incomplete picture, I’m more than willing to wait for the software to develop.

Why, as a user, do I care, from my perspective, there is no more effective GUI-based network monitoring software available at all.

Fair enough, RichLife69.

This is going to come off very much as a bitch list. That’s not the intent, but that’s what it’s going to be :slight_smile:

Some of the issues I see with the UI:

1. The mini-graph is not independent of the settings of the primary display window.
  2. The column headings do not allow “click to sort”, which is more-or-less a standard.
  3. The column headings cannot be ordered or sized.
  4. None of the data displays are responsive to clicks to “drill down”, even where such functionality seems self-evident to the point that it’s strikingly absent.
  5. There are option settings in odd locations (like the options drop down on the Traffic usage).
  6. Pop-up triggering is inconsistent. For example, try to get the Apps details to pop up consistently on the Usage Traffic screen. Even when the pop up is successfully displayed, an non-resizable pop up is a poor choice when displaying large amounts of data. Also, unless you are very careful with your mouse movements, the pop up can disappear and be difficult to redisplay. Further, there is no indication which fields have pop-up information vs. which do not. This turns the interface into hunt-the-pixel.
  7. On the Network display it has a “Sort by” drop down rather than using the ubiquitous column heading sort-on-click feature.
  8. One of the columns on the Network screen is adjusted by a rather bizarre set of [DNS] [IP] buttons far off to the side, and having no intuitive connection to the column they are adjusting.
  9. Once changed to DNS, there is no way to sort the device column based on DNS entry. It’s still sorted by IP which is no longer visible.
  10. The “Alert” notification system is weak at best. There are often dozens of alerts, yet the wasteful screen layout only allows room for a handful. Alerts are so frequent as to make the alert count on the taskbar pointless. Unless you almost constantly clear the alerts, the alert counter always shows a count. This means, for the most part, it doesn’t function to alert you to anything - much in the same way a faulty smoke alarm serves only to cause you to distrust the alarm.
  11. There is no clear indication of when snooze or incognito mode are enabled. It is far too easy to leave these modes enabled or forget to enable them. For example, optionally tying them to the incognito status of the browser would be far more useful.
  12. In the main menu it is unclear what the difference between “deactivate glasswire”, “incognito”, and “exit” are without referring to the instructions. Items that are important enough to hold a place in the primary menu should have self-evident functionality.

As for network vs. single PC monitoring. I feel that is more of slightly misleading advertising. At the top of this very web page it says “Download GlassWire to help protect your computer by monitoring your network.”, yet you only get to monitor traffic local to a single PC even when purchasing the basic license. You are left blind to the actual workings of the LAN itself. If it’s not misleading advertising, then perhaps inconvenient licensing. Even a single user network such as my own has many devices, yet I’d essentially have to buy a multi-user license to achieve the implied functionality.

1 Like

@Al_Hunt

Unfortunately a normal reinstall wouldn’t help with the Firewall Rules, but an uninstall, reboot, then reinstall using the “clean” option should solve the problem. Please try and let me know your results with the problem you’re having.

Thank you for your other feedback also. We’re currently working on a major update that solves a lot of the confusion you reported with the UI and website. Feedback from users such as yourself really help us improve GlassWire.

For the mini viewer, the screenshot shows how you can view multiple remote servers easily from the desktop. I haven’t had anyone complain about that screenshot before but I’ll see if we can improve it with our next website update with the new major software update.

If you don’t like all the alerts you can go into your settings and remove the ones that go off too frequently. For some people some alerts are more useful than others but we give the user the choice to use the ones that work best for them.

Snooze disables itself in 24 hours and you can see what mode your GlassWire version is in by its bottom right notification icon.

I use GlassWire in Ask to connect mode every day and I have never seen any items unblocked on the Firewall. I agree that’s a major problem but it’s not something I have seen complaints about recently. I think a clean install should solve the problem, and if it does not please uninstall again, reboot, then go to the Windows Firewall window and choose “restore defaults”.

We purposely chose to use the Windows Firewall API because we ourselves would not trust a third party software to disable the Windows Firewall and replace it with some unknown thing. Over a billion Windows users trust and use the Windows Firewall and we feel that technology can be trusted more than most other available options. Using the Windows Firewall API also keeps GlassWire’s resources lower than they would be otherwise.

1 Like

Ok, Al. First of all I don’t think that’s a “bitch list”, I think it’s a suggestion list – and a damn good one. Good response in general from Ken, but I agree with you that the “state” of Glasswire should be more clear. Too often, I forget to make manual configuration changes back to normal (like getting out of incognito mode) – those items need more work. To me, initiating operations las is done are ok for an intro program, but for a professional network management tool, there should be automatic “cutoffs” and user controllable “state” options (i.e. until changed, until re-start, until re-boot, time limited, etc.). And, personally, I applaud their use of the Windows Firewall API.

On your suggestions, I basically agree. But for Item 4, I don’t get it. I mostly find extensive drill-down capability (though some items still need it as you say). Also, a “settings” or “configuration” screen/table would be better than local options lists scattered here and there. And the DNS/IP display in Network was an item that I was planning to bring up myself – thanks.

But to me it appears from some of your comments that you may be a new or occasional user of Glasswire (my apologies if I’m wrong). I don’t think you have discovered a lot of the capability and probably have not seen all the discussion here related to some of your suggestions and to most of your issues (excepting the title problem). The Glasswire team has incorporated most user feedback and is clearly working on much more. I’ve been very anxious to get that “major update” we’ve been hearing about. Meanwhile, I’m delighted to get the intermediate updates in response to user requests.

Before I address the “network monitor” aspect, I also want to add a suggestion and a “bitch”. I have commented much on the latest test version now available to those who have requested to be testers. I focus a lot on the “polling” and Network tab as I was one of the first to “complain” about it (that is – once I started using GW). A further request on that topic, is that the Network tab should have an explicit “Refresh” button that does a real-time network poll and display of the known devices. Having to tab away and then back to “sort of” refresh is not good. On the “bitch”, I have already commented a lot about the constant requests to uninstall followed by a clean install. It’s past time that Glasswire has the ability to step back and correct problem interuptions without having to lose months of history (anyone have years?). How valuable is history? Ask Federal investigators who are discovering hacks that go back a year or more. Uninstall and start over is simply bad practice.

As for the network monitoring, I refer back to the discussions of this forum and the many requests intended to provide better monitoring. But as is, I use Glasswire “to help protect your computer by monitoring your network” on a daily basis. Your statement “you only get to monitor traffic local to a single PC even when purchasing the basic license” is not correct – but you must implement remote monitoring to do more. And at this point, far too much manual intervention is needed to succeed. Along with our other suggestions, far better documentation is needed to ensure anyone (newcomers included) can understand the features and functions to appropriately accomplish the needed monitoring. That needs be part of a “major update”. Glasswire is far more complex than it may appear during the early months of use. It has more function and features than are documented anywhere – let alone in a simple instruction page, a blog and a forum. (I just discovered a very useful “new function” last week – after 9 months of use.)

No one should expect to be able to monitor a network with a limited free download. But with proper basic documentation, any new user can fully implement almost all functions and features to assess whether the tool is appropriate for them. With even the paid Basic level – and some undocumented tricks – any home network can be monitored. Pro and Elite levels eliminate the need for tricks. Yet it’s clear and many users agree that there is still a lot of work needed to enable what can be called comprehensive network management (management vs. monitoring).

My home network consists only of two subnets and a variety of Windows, Android and media devices (approx. twelve – one got discovered only yesterday) and, like Glasswire, is a work in progress. With Glasswire, I’ve been able to monitor all 4 PCs, determine sources of excessive usage (by individual and by software), discover a trojan horse, manage throughput and limit the potentially escalating costs of a capped internet service. That’s what make Glasswire worth purchasing. I think I’ve also contributed to the development of Glasswire (because I found it to be the only network monitor I could find that would assess, summarize and clearly display the information I wanted). I will continue to do so. Numerous other users, especially Remah, have also participated. Glasswire is growing – I think we significantly guide that growth.

2 Likes