Microsoft Edge Webview2 and Zoom

Issue is similar to

Win10 Pro and GW Elite 2.3.397

Each time Zoom is started (logged on every day for meetings), this module asks to Connect (Firewall Ask to Connect is ON)

While I do not use Edge (once 6 months ago), my guess is that it silently updates in the background and GW does not care that I have allowed it and keeps asking every day.

Module path today (tomorrow the build number likely something new) is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\99.0.1150.30\msedgewebview2.exe

Too bad it is not possible to White List the module by name or Root Path

Thanks for your feedback about white listing modules by name or path.

I ran across a couple of local programs that access a copy of “msedgewebview2” runtime to gain access to the net. One of them uses a version stored in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView" path, but the other program has it’s own copy in its application folder under Program Files at “C:\Program Files\SINE Player\BrowserRuntime”. Both are signed by Microsoft, but are different versions.

I did some checking, and this executable is NOT the MS Edge browser itself, but rather is a runtime method for a web aware application to connect to the network. So it apparently is a Microsoft method for a 3rd party application to be web enabled internally, for example so it can access a proprietary in-app store. I contacted the tech support for one application, and they confirmed that’s how it is supposed to work.

I had to set firewall policies to block each of them (as I am not comfy with a program getting net access using this method), but that did not affect the MS Edge browser itself, which is a good thing… Edge has its own executable and firewall policy (allowed here).

The Microsoft Edge WebView2 control allows you to embed web technologies (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) in your native apps. The WebView2 control uses Microsoft Edge as the rendering engine to display the web content in native apps.

With WebView2, you can embed web code in different parts of your native app, or build all of the native app within a single WebView instance.

I have been watching this issue for some time as it causes mayhem with Edge View and Creative Cloud updates and is an almost daily royal pain as I want to use Ask To Connect at all times so being able to white list by executable name (path is not going to help as these things run out of TEMP) would be gold.
My license comes up for renewal shortly and I am seriously thinking about letting it lapse which would be disappointing as Glasswire is a fantastic in all other regards but as a responsible adult I need some way of whitelisting those processes so they can run but are monitored. On one newer Windows 10 Adobe Creative Cloud PC in particular needs Glasswire to be completely deactivated and closed to proceed but not on my Windows 10 laptop which is strange and probably a policy issue; that said, having to go through this every few days is a real time bandit. How about a class of notification for white-listed executables so it is a visible alert but not a show stopper. Thanks.
Ian

I noticed that you replied to Ken. He hasn’t posted in the forum here for over 6 months, and I haven’t seen any other GlassWire staff here recently.

Probably best to contact GW support directly with your issues. This appears to only be a user-to-user forum these days, but I keep hoping otherwise as I happen to like GlassWire.

Thanks for that. Good to know and much appreciated. I will pester them directly.
Ian