Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hello. Constantly deleted and added the “Microsoft ISATAP Adapter”. Certainly not issue, but the constant adding and removing annoying.

Thank you for your feedback. We haven’t seen this on our own PCs but if you go to the top left GlassWire menu and choose “settings” then “security” you can disable the “device list monitor”.

If you are not using IPv6 then you may not need ISATAP adapters. In other words, if you don’t have any IPv6 devices on your network, then you can remove them. Basically, the ISATAP device allows IPv6 packets to be encapsulated in IPv4 packets so they can be sent across your local network which will be using IPv4, i.e. with addresses like 192.168.1.1.

These devices are automatically installed by Windows just in case they are needed. I have them installed on my computers but they don’t cause any issues in GlassWire. Here’s related info about the default IPv6 install which you can get from the IPCONFIG command. As you can see the ISATAP adapter has “media disconnected” because I don’t use IPv6:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:4b4:3448:3f57:febf
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4b4:3448:3f57:febf%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.{14A5CF17-CD72-43EC-B4EA-B4B093641B7D}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

If you use VMs (virtual machines) then it is possible that it is being used for those VMs which might be why you are getting those GlassWire alerts. Let GlassWire know if you are using a VM manager like VMWare because they might want to allow for such special cases in their alert handling.

See articles like the following for further info and instructions for uninstalling the ISATAP adapter:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/isatap-adapter-9/4eee6bae-736e-4ba1-b7ec-91f951df7f9a

Here’s a visual how-to guide:

1 Like