Mystery device connected

I live in a rural area and use a Verizon Jetpack to connect to the Internet. Recently my data use has gone up much more than seems reasonable, and I’ve installed the free version of GlassWire (on a PC running Windows 10) in the hope of understanding why.

The Jetpack is configured to allow only one device at a time, and when I connect to the Internet, the Jetpack shows one connected device – but GlassWire (under the “Network” tab) says there are two.

I have a Wi-Fi-capable backup PC (XP), but it is turned off – not just disconnected, but OFF. I don’t have a smartphone, and my dumb cell phone is also turned off for good measure. GlassWire still says I have two connected devices. Can anyone suggest an explanation?

I understand the paid versions of GlassWire will identify the connected devices, which might let me see what’s going on, but before I spend the money to upgrade, does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

George

@GeorgeNewman

Could the other device be the Jetpack itself? May I ask what the manufacturer name is for the other device, any clues?

If you change the WiFi password does it make any difference?

Could the other device be the Jetpack itself

I’ve wondered that too, and I was hoping someone here would have experience using a Jetpack and be able to answer that question.

May I ask what the manufacturer name is for the other device, any clues?

No clue. Maybe I’m missing something, but the free version of GlassWire doesn’t seem to give any info about connected devices, just how many there are.

If you change the WiFi password does it make any difference?

No, that doesn’t help. And as I said, the Jetpack is set to allow only one device at a time.

TrendMicro Internet Security doesn’t find anything suspicious on the computer, and last week I had it in the shop, where they scanned it for malware and didn’t find anything. But I’ve been wondering whether I could have some kind of undetected bot (for lack of a better term). If so, might the Jetpack see only the connection to the computer, but GlassWire see the computer and the bot as two separate “devices”?

George

@GeorgeNewman

If it was me I’d change the WiFi password, then check again. If it still shows two devices then it must be the JetPack itself.

I’ve changed the Wi-Fi password (and the Jetpack admin password too), with no effect.

If it still shows two devices then it must be the JetPack itself.

Seems likely, but I’d like to hear from someone who has a similar setup and can say for sure.

@GeorgeNewman

I think it’s the JetPack.