Not seeing Smart TV traffic in Glasswire

I’m probably being dumb (I’ve searched around but find nothing useful in help). I currently have two Samsung TVs hardwired into my network that show up under the Things tab. The problem I have is that when I run an app on that device I’m not seeing that on Glasswire.

Am I missing a setting or is this being lumped in with Google Chrome traffic under Usage>>Apps and I need to break it out somehow?

Any help on this would be huge.

@darkreign2409

Are these Android devices? Do you have our Google Play Android app installed there on those Smart TVs?

Unfortunately GlassWire cannot track your entire network because that would mean it would need to interface with your router.

However many people world-wide use GlassWire to stay under their ISP and mobile data limits. The reason people use GlassWire to stay under their data limits is because in most cases PCs are responsible for data overages and GlassWire can show you in detail what apps/hosts are responsible for using your data. You can then block those apps with our firewall, or just uninstall them.

And as you posted, we also have an Android app https://www.glasswire.com/glasswire-for-android/ that also focuses on data usage, and can show Android device data usage for WiFi and mobile.

GlassWire also has a “Things” list that shows all the IOT (Things) on your network. It can alert you when a new unknown device joins and starts wasting your data.

Please let me know if my answers helps you or not so I can get your issue solved. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry that really didn’t answer anything. The newer generation Samsung TVs run their own app store without Google Play (for Apps) so you cant install your app. Both TVs are listed so you can confirm that.

• Samsung UN49RU8000FXZA
  • Samsung QN82Q6

So Glasswire has no way of logging the MAC/IP address of those devices and monitoring in/out traffic?

GlassWire should show the Mac/IP addresses of both of those devices under “Things” on Windows.

But GlassWire won’t show the in/out traffic of those TVs because it would require we interface with your router or modem and we don’t do that yet. There is no clear reliable standard for router/modem interfacing that I know of yet.

1 Like

Hi Ken I know this is a very old forum but just thought I would give it a ping. I am currently using Glasswire on my computer after recently going over our data usage with our new Youtube TV subscription. Although its great to keep track of our desktops and laptops (can’t do phones as they are iPhones) are there any alternatives to tracking the data usage of our TVs? If not glasswire do any modem/routers on the market have a capability to see at least general overall data usage for devices?

Thanks so much

I think to track your TV you should get a router that has that functionality. Unfortunately we can’t offer that at this time.

Is there an FAQ or sticky anywhere on the GlassWire website?

This seems to be a common misunderstanding for new users. GlassWire is not a router monitor, so your “Intenet of Things” devices cannot be included in the GlassWire traffic calculation. Just the traffic on the device where GlassWire is installed.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback on adding a sticky about this.

Usually PCs are responsible for overages, so many people use GlassWire to detect data overages, but it’s true we can only monitor Android and PC devices.

1 Like

That was probably true at one time, but the streaming video revolution has changed the way many consume bandwidth with alternative devices running directly through the home router, such as smart TV’s, streaming sticks, tablets, and smartphones.

For example, this article states: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-much-data-does-streaming-video-use/
“Watching video is one of the primary ways that people eat through their allowance. So it makes sense to know how much data does streaming video use”.

YouTube is 15.98GB/hour if you want to watch videos in 4K.
Netflix is 7GB per hour per device at Ultra HD

I am thankful that I have unlimited bandwidth with my ISP, so no need for me to monitor. But I am sure there are folks who do need to keep tabs on overages, and may have an expectation that GlassWire will do this for them.

To see exactly how much data any Internet activity uses you don’t have to go to that site you linked to, but you can use our handy data calculator.

Nice! That calculator confirms that streaming video is the heaviest bandwidth user in the household.

Which is an activity much less likely to be performed on a PC nowadays…

I wish it was that simple! As someone who runs our helpdesk I have found that weird PC bugs and issues are almost always the culprit when people go over data plans. For example, recently one user had a bug with an Amazon music service update that was using massive amounts of data.

It always feels good when we can help someone solve this problem.

On top of this, sometimes random devices that user doesn’t even control can join their WiFi, and GlassWire can alert them immediately when that happens. That’s another use-case with overages we often help with.

We also even have customers who work in unusual remote areas like boats in the ocean with super expensive data plans, and they use GlassWire to block everything but the specific low-data apps they need.