Opera Browser Firewall Prompts

Each time the Opera Browser receives an update (which is quite frequent), GlassWire Firewall re-prompts for access. I guess this is because it installs into a version specific folder e.g.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\58.0.3135.68\opera.exe

Can anything be done to always allow Opera?

@ittroll

I use that browser also and do the same. Since the hash changes, we have to do a new “ask to connect”. Otherwise someone could just call their malware opera.exe and it would bypass our firewall.

If you have some other ideas on how to solve this we’re glad to hear. For example maybe we should offer a mode where if an app has no cert signed then it receives an “ask to connect” prompt, but others do not?

I guess the only other option would be to wildcard the version part of the path.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\*\opera.exe

I will share this idea with our team, thanks!

I wonder if it would be useful if we just OK’d certain certificates?

I guess you might not necessarily want access for all executables which have been signed by the cert. So for maximum security you could check both a pattern match on the path and the cert.

Thanks. I’ll share this with our team and we’ll discuss what’s possible/reasonable.

If you’re going to skip the firewall prompt for programs that update with a different file path then please log an alert because users will forget that they have activated this option.