Required windows 10 services

hello, i have some extra services disables, may i know what services are required to run glasswire so i can enable them ?

it keep saying connecting to the local server

@Brakta

If you go to the top left menu and choose “about” what version of GlassWire are you running and what OS version?

Has GlassWire ever worked for you, or is this your first time using it?

GlassWire should work after it’s installed. If you are missing something it should tell you it failed during the install process.

Well, as Glasswire is a GUI for the Windows Firewall, “Windows Defender Firewall” (MpsSvc) needs to be running. By extension, Remote Procedure Call, Remote Procedure endpoint mapper, and DCOM Server Processes launcher need to be running as Windows Defender Firewall depends on them.

Windows Defender itself, and the security center do NOT need to be running. I keep these services disabled and glasswire runs just fine.

When I update to 2.0 it required some services that are related to remote access. I said nope and found a later version on a different website.

@Sizzy11

GlassWire has no services that require remote access. Please only download GlassWire from GlassWire.com and check our hash on that download page to be sure you are downloading file that actually came from us.

Unfortunately many sites advertise GlassWire for free and distribute malware/spyware to try to get our customers to install it to their PCs.

@Ken_GlassWire not to mention PUA’s (Potentially Unwanted Applications) and PUM’s (Potentially Unwanted Modifications).

1 Like

Your should never disable any of your services. There’s no real benefit to do so, and you don’t see any real improvement in terms of memory being freed. Service optimizations are a myth.

Service “optimizations” debunked.

Other computer myths.

Thank you so much for this. I was into this issue and tired to tinker around to check if its possible but couldnt get it done. Now that i have seen the way you did it, thanks guys
with
regards

Absolute claims like never “Service optimizations are a myth” generally need qualifying. It is good to dissuade users from tweaking their systems when they don’t need it or don’t understand what they are doing. But that doesn’t mean that such tweaks can never provide a real improvement:

• There is a real and measurable benefit from tweaking services if your purpose it to free up resources such as RAM. The problem is that the benefit is so negligible for the vast majority of users that it does not balance the increased risks of causing a problem which is often the most costly outcome of such tweaking.

• Likewise, you can get a real and measurable benefit if your purpose is to prevent Windows telemetry from operating so that Microsoft cannot monitor your system.

• Another real benefit, which is more easily measurable because it has a greater magnitude, is only found in scenarios where RAM and/or other resources are highly-constrained. In other words, where the system is continually having to swap data from RAM to disk and back again (thrashing virtual memory), the CPU is running at 100% almost all the time, or a particularly badly programmed application is excessively sucking up resources. With such constraints even a small change in resource requirements can produce a significant and observable improvement in performance. However, most users are unlikely to face this sort of scenario unless they have a failure such as losing most of their RAM.

I’ve investigated many such issues over the years. The last time was for Registry cleaners for Windows XP:

Do we really need Windows registry cleaners?
The answer for users with enough physical memory is NO. But if you are low on physical memory and continually having Windows paging virtual memory to disk then YES you should consider trying them.

A key reason if there wasn’t enough physical memory in Windows XP was that:

Registry hive pages are swapped out to disk which incurs a major performance penalty to write them out and later get them back.

Since Windows XP, Microsoft have continued to improve registry operations and the benefits of registry cleaners have largely, but not totally, disappeared. So I wouldn’t recommend them today but it would still be possible to find a real world scenario where a small change in the registry size will produce a real and measurable performance improvement, maybe even an improvement that the user can observe just using their system.

@Remah

I’m sorry you don’t believe that service “optimizations” are a myth. It’s been proven as a myth, there are plenty of sources stating and showing how they are myths.

Key example: Disabled Universal Plug’n’Play. Service. Person has a new digital camera or other device where you simply plug it in and can extract media from it. Oh wait, it doesn’t work because the service is disabled. All to save a few KB of RAM. When we have GB worth of RAM and SSDs, disabling services is not worth it. Remember, idle RAM is wasted RAM.

And here’s where someone discusses in detail why to not disable the Superfetch service:
https://np.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/comments/8ar59l/oof_my_jvm/dx1huhu/?context=2

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/performance-oriented-windows-tweaking.1685606/ This link (as I posted before) goes into detail and fully debunks the service “optimization” myth.

Even the reasons you list are not real world benefits. Real and measurable, in KB or even a few MB at best. As I said above, with SSDs and GB worth of RAM, it’s not worth it.

Telemetry is not an issue either. All data is private and anonymous, it allows them to track problems and fix them faster. It’s the same as back on Windows XP when a program would crash and people wouldn’t send the report, saying it did nothing. When in fact it did help and fixes would occur because of this.

What about the telemetry and privacy concerns I keep hearing about? Should I use third party software which disable telemetry?

• For an exact listing of what is collected on every level, see the Microsoft Technet article here. This is also applicable for companies using Windows to hold sensitive data with various laws attached, so for this to be untrue would be both massively illegal and massively unlikely.

• In the opinion of many, the “concerns” are largely the result of low quality, clickbait websites trying to make some easy money. It’s worth remembering that not everything you read on the internet is true, even if the author assures you it is. Healthy scepticism never goes amiss!

• It’s also worth noting that Microsoft backported the improved telemetry to Windows 7/8/8.1 some time ago, it was always present on older versions of Windows but with Windows 10 it provides slightly more information about usage of apps and OS elements so Windows can be improved with the help of the data that Microsoft gather.

• The telemetry can be brought down to a very low level by going to Settings - Privacy - Feedback and Diagnostics - Basic.

• Nothing collected is even remotely identifying, regardless of feedback and diagnostic level.

• Using scripts/software to disable “tracking” components disables and in some cases removes Windows components that more often than not cannot be reinstated, so we do not recommend this.

Registry cleaners have been more problems than they are worth. They can easily and often cause a system to be rendered unbootable. CCleaner and others have done this quite often.

Why is CCleaner not recommended anymore? I thought registry cleaners were a part of essential maintenance?

• Registry cleaners have been non- essential since Windows Vista, as Windows is now capable of maintaining its registry and require programs to better clean up.

• CCleaner, for whatever reason, likes to “clean” (i.e. delete) Windows components, which can lead to lots of issues, such as broken search indexing, broken Windows update and other major problems.

• A good proportion of frequent issues on /r/windows10 relates to CCleaner usage. A trip to the developer, Piriform’s forums may give you some indication into the issues it can cause.

• For clearing up disc space, it is instead recommended to use Microsoft’s own built in clean up utility. To access, press start, type ‘disc clean up’ (without quotations) and open the utility. From here you can delete temp files, cache files, upgrade logs and previous updates without fear of damaging your install.

https://np.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7ub909/is_ccleaner_registry_cleaner_known_to_fuck_people/ (if the forum software censors that URL, it’s the four letter f word between to and people.)
https://np.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8pzu0s/how_do_you_clear_windows_10_registry_without/

Source for both quotes: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vrr27/windows_10_anniversary_update_megathread/

I hope this helps you and others get a better understanding of why service “optimizations” have no real benefit, and why registry cleaners do more harm than good, essentially snake oil.

Your reply doesn’t actually respond to what I said or the article I referred you to.

I don’t think that you understand what qualifying a statement means. To qualify a statement means “to modify or limit the meaning of”. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/qualify

The specific qualification I made to the generalization that “service “optimizations” are a myth” is that it can be helpful for systems that have severely constrained resources, particularly a lack of sufficient RAM.

You are not refuting my main point by:

• using examples where relevant system resources are not constrained. If you and others haven’t tested with severely limited RAM then you haven’t proved anything for the scenario I presented.
  • avoiding my main point by saying there are lots of people agreeing with you. Again, I say that many, if not all, of those commentators and pundits will not have tested Windows services with constraints such as limited RAM. I have.
  • providing more generalizations that should also be qualified because they have known exceptions. For example, “idle RAM is wasted RAM” also needs qualification because the system has to allocate resources to service (no pun intended) any RAM in active use.
  • using irrelevant points, such as suggesting I’m advocating this for everyone - I don’t - or that I want people to disable Windows telemetry - that is simply an example of what real people are doing to achieve their own goals.

I’ll also point out that there are other reasons for disabling services. For example, services are often disabled to resolve problems or to prevent unwanted interactions with other software.