[Resolved] Stealth port mode?

Does GlassWire offer stealth firewall mode? I don’t see an option for it, and Windows Firewall doesn’t have it (which is totally stupid). So far I LOVE GlassWire, but I really want to stealth my ports.

@stealthmode

Unless I’m misunderstanding, this feature has been built into Windows since 2012. You can read more about it here on the Microsoft website. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd448557(v=ws.10)

So, unless you disabled this (it should be on by default) you’re already protected.

It’s not on Windows 10, or, at least I can confirm my testing my ports at GRC. I currently use BitDefender Firewall to stealth my ports (because Windows FW doesn’t do that).

I noticed in your link, windows 10 isn’t mentioned:
“Stealth mode is enabled by default on computers that are running Windows Vista®, Windows Server® 2008, Windows® 7, and Windows Server® 2008 R2.”

I run a quick test using GlassWire with Windnows FW and report back. BRB.

I think it could be because the article is so old.

Good point. And you were 100% correct, using GlassWire with Windows FW means all ports are stealth. Not sure how when I tested before a few ports showed as “blocked” not “stealth.”

I am going to purchase GlasWire now. I’m very impressed with your customer service, BTW. Astounding response time.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2018-05-24 at 13:54:26

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed

1056 Ports Stealth

1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

2 Likes

Another thing to consider when running a “Shields Up” type of test from GRC, is whether you are connected to the net from behind a router, which is typical of most broadband WiFi connections today,

Most WiFi routers provide a “hardware” firewall that external servers such as those at GRC will interact with on an inbound basis, rather than your client firewall.

If that is the case, then your Windows client is safely tucked away behind that router firewall on a private network. The results you see from that GRC test will be a report on the router’s protection rather than your Windows or GlassWire firewall.

The Windows/GlassWire firewall will protect you from unknown devices on the local network when you are using a public hotspot or shared network.

P.S. I used to use that test back in the days of dial up networking, to really see if my client firewall was working. But since the era of broadband DSL/Cable and home routers, not so worried about that aspect. If you use a home router, read the manual and secure it. Change the default admin password, disable remote admin, change the default SSID, put a password on the WiFi, etc.

2 Likes