Same app keeps popping up as a new network activity

Hello,

micorosft.photos.exe keeps trying to connect somewhere, and i block it every time, and it just pops up again after a while as a “new application”.

Screenshot: imgur.com/k1Yd8NZ

Does it evade the firewall? does the rule somehow not work on this app?

I end up with that same application blocked multiple times, makes me lose trust in the firewall’s capabilities.

I’d be happy for any kind of explanation.

@deadlyviper

I have seen microsoft.photos.exe do this, but only one time. It must be a a problem with the Windows Firewall API or something else. First scan microsoft.photos.exe and see if it’s signed by Microsoft or not.

If microsoft.photos.exe seems OK then go to add/remove programs and uninstall GlassWire, next go to the Windows Firewall control panel and choose “restore defaults”.

Next reboot your PC (important).

Now reinstall our latest version from www.glasswire.com with the clean install option.

Thanks for the tips, i did some extra research in windows firewall rules only to find Microsoft just changes file path some times when the app version changes due to updates.

Screenshot: imgur.com/JCfsLug

That’s annoying as hell! Any way to have the created rule catch all future Microsoft shenanigans?

Maybe tinker with it in windows firewall if its not possible via glasswire?

@deadlyviper

I haven’t seen this yet myself. We will try to recreate it and come up with a solution. Thanks for your report.