Same application asks to connect each boot

An application, which I believe to be part of my VPN (Private Internet Access) asks to connect each boot. Sometimes I block it, sometimes I allow it…neither seems to change the behaviour of my computer. Is there a way to make it so this does not ask me every time it launches?

Problem app is the “Ruby interpreter (GUI) 1.9.3p448[i386…”

Thank you in advance for any help!

@Nick_Green

I wonder if there could be a problem with your Windows Firewall that could be causing this. If you are OK with losing your settings/history I recommend uninstalling GlassWire, rebooting, then going to the Windows Firewall control panel and choosing “restore defaults” then reboot again.

Next reinstall GlassWire with its “clean” install option.

Now try it again and see if you still have this problem. If you do then I guess this application is changed or moved often, so GlassWire must give it its own new space under the “Firewall” tab. We are working on improving our Firewall tab for GlassWire 2.0 to help with situations like this.

Thanks!

You could also turn off automatic updates for ruby. Some programs have daily or even more changes that change the id of the file attempting access. 10 users will see this with Skype and cortina gaining new access every update and mediapack (codecs) changes files a few times a day.

1 Like

This is happening with a program I use called RoyalTS (used for remotely accessing servers) when I open a Putty window. What I noticed is happening is it’s launching the putty.exe from the following path: {user_directory}AppData\Local\temp{randomly_generated_dir}\putty.exe

It seems Glasswire is whitelisting strictly based on the EXE’s directory path, which is not very ideal in this scenario because the path is randomly generated in the TEMP folder and removed after the application runs. The best way to solve the problem would be to provide us the ability to white-list the EXE signature instead (more secure), or even the ability to use wildcard path when whitelisting (less secure.)

I’d suspect these other folks are running into this issue as well.

@rpesta

Sorry for the problem. White listing is on our todo list.

I hope it happens soon, as the firewall list has become unusable with the pollution of the same application being added on each boot. Also you desperately need sort and search functionality. I like your program, but it’s becoming so awkward to use the firewall list I’ve been debating about its overall utility.

2 Likes