Security and Virus Total options will not stay active

I have a 3-year subscription and every time I go into settings, the Security options, and the Virus Total options will not stay active, I have to keep clicking unlock but as soon as I exit the settings and then go back, the options are no longer active. I am running version 2.3.323

@jnelsoninjax

Sorry for the issue. After you make the change to the settings do you press “OK”? If you press “cancel” I think it won’t hold the settings, but if you press “OK” it should hold them.

Yes, I am pressing OK .

@jnelsoninjax

I just tested this and I could not recreate the issue. Do you use any “cleaning” type of apps? Sometimes they can delete our settings in the Windows “ProgramData” folder, and it can cause this issue.

The solution is a “clean” reinstall unfortunately, then you should white list the programdata/glasswire folder with the “cleaner” so our files won’t be deleted again.

If that does not apply to you please let me know.

Ken, I do not use any cleaning programs. I just installed the newest version, does that do a full reinstall? If not I can uninstall it and then reinstall it.

@jnelsoninjax

Please try this:

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall GlassWire.
  2. Reboot
  3. Install our latest version and check “clean install”.

Try to make changes to VirusTotal and let me know your results.

I just did that, I used IOBit Uninstaller to completely remove all traces of the program. I then reinstalled Glasswire, put in my license key, and went to settings - Security and clicked unlock, UAC popped up, and I gave it permission, I then hit OK, and went right back into the security settings and discovered that they had again disabled themselves. The same goes for VirusTotal.
I recorded the steps I took using Windows Step Recorder, I am not able to share the link here though.

@jnelsoninjax

Third party uninstallers can cause problems with our settings and cause this issue.

Please try just uninstalling GlassWire in add/remove programs exactly as described above and let me know if it solves the issue or not. Please notice the “reboot” step and the “clean install” check in our installer.

@Ken_GlassWire I tried it your way, still does the same thing as before.

@jnelsoninjax

That’s very frustrating! I’m sorry that’s happening for you.

Let me discuss some options with our team on how this is possible. Is there anything unusual about your Windows account? Is it the admin account, or a user account?

It is a regular account, nothing special about it. Windows 10 X64 21H1

1 Like