[SOLVED] Glasswire blocks Avast antivirus from updating

Avast antivirus update (both program and virus signatures) fails to do DNS resolution when the Glasswire Firewall is on. I have to turn it off every time and update manually.
I normally have Glasswire set to ‘ask to connect’, but there is no popup.
There are a bunch of Avast apps already in the list, all of which are unblocked: Avast Antivirus, Avast Antivirus Installer, Avast Behavior Shield, Avast Emergency Update, Avast Overseer, Avast Service.
Even presuming I could figure out which exe or service does the update, I don’t see a way to manually add it to Glasswire’s list.

How do I let the update through the firewall?

EDIT: Went into Windows Firewall Advanced and looked through the Glasswire_App rules that pointed at executables in the Avast folder. Found a few Blocked rules and deleted them. Somehow Glasswire must have made both an Allow and a Block rule, and deleting the Block made it work again.

@Tex

Avast is a very popular antivirus and we have never seen a report about GlassWire blocking it.

Also, GlassWire has no ability to stop other apps from doing DNS resolution.

If you turn GlassWire’s firewall “Off” completely, does the problem go away? If not then it’s not related to GlassWire.

Yes, when I turn off Glasswire Firewall, Avast connects immediately.
I say it fails at DNS resolution because that’s what Avast says in the user interface. When you click the ‘update’ button manually it goes through some steps and the last one it shows is ‘DNS resolving’ before it says ‘failed to update’ and tries again three times before it gives up.

Why would Glasswire not be able to stop apps from doing DNS resolution? It stops apps from accessing the network interface, doesn’t it?

GlassWire can completely block an app from accessing the network, that’s true, but it cannot make an app unable to resolve DNS.

Please email me a screenshot of your “Firewall” tab and I’ll check what could be blocked, and suggest you unblock it. If you look on the Firewall tab Avast must be blocked there. If it’s not then it’s a firewall API corruption problem of some sort, and I have another suggestion that will solve it.

https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Tex emailed me and we got it working. If this problem happens to you, then you may want to try these steps:

Here is how to back up your settings/history if you want to: https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings

1. Uninstall GlassWire in add/remove programs.

2. Go to the “Windows Firewall” control panel and choose “restore defaults”

3. Reboot (important!!!)

4. Reinstall GlassWire using its “clean install” option along with its “reset firewall” option.