I get two alerts from Glasswire that appear to be information only though they would indicate a problem, but for which I can’t determine an explanation.
1- On my main Glasswire client, two or three times a day, I get the alert that “Internet access changed – internet connection was lost” as shown here (the Graph screen shot below also shows that warning). But there is no corresponding notice of any reconnection and at no time can I find that my internet connection was ever actually lost. The alert contains no information to define this “loss”. And the remotely connected machine shows no such alert during the same time period (see the last two screen captures).
2- My remote connected machine (Sony), will often show the alert “Glasswire client connection – Glasswire remote client disconnection” at apparently random times. Some time later an alert show reconnection. But again there is no further explanation and there is no indication of a disconnection that shows on my main Glasswire client. From examining the two graphs, it does appear that my main client was active during the time of the two connection/disconnections at 6:44 through 7:54 and I may have switched my main client to look at the remote server. Is that the explanation? However, if that is true, then there is no corresponding disconnection following the 10:25am alert when I know I checked the remote server and have now returned to my main client.
I’m just trying to understand where there apparently “specious” alerts come from. There does not appear to be a problem. BTW, in Usage Options, I have all alerts active except the camera and mic monitor.
Do you see these alerts with the new unreleased version or is this alert with our public version? I’m seeing false DNS change alerts with the unreleased version now currently also so maybe it’s related to this bug.
This is all with 1.1.41 – and previous releases. (I only report issues with the test versions back to my test contact. “They” are seldom identified. :<) I have yet to be able to successfully install the latest test release.)
It might be related to those DNS changes – but when I’ve seen DNS changes I tend to notice it and know what generated it.
I was specifically on line (see the time I came off Idle time) after being away for a day to attend a wedding. I was actually working on this forum first thing after getting on (may even have been during my last post – they aren’t time stamped). I did not note the alert come in, but nor was there any indication that anything odd was taking place on my network – especially not a lost internet connection.
Just explaining a realtime experience – thanks for looking at this.
My PC definitely goes to sleep after 30 minutes inactivity, but that can’t explain either of the alerts I see. As I said above, the alert indicates internet connection was lost 5 minutes after I came back on. In the first screen capture above, the “loss” occurred before I came back online and hours after “sleep” started. And then again multiple time during Idle Time including just before I got back online.
One instance of the “client connection” of the remote machine occurs one minute after “internet connection was lost” on my main Glasswire client.
We decided to add back our original alert when the Internet is re-connected. I think it will help solve this issue.
Could you see if this helps?
You may try to disable the power management feature in network adapters:
a. Click Start
b. Right Click Computer
c. Click Manage
d. Click Device Manager in the left window pane
e. Expand Network Adapter.
f. Now you will see your network adapter or adapters if you
have more than one. Right Click on network component and click
g. Go to the Power Management Tab.
h. Make sure all boxes are unchecked.
i. Once you’ve unchecked the boxes click ok and restart your
system. Put the computer into sleep mode and check if you still have
Ok, I’m trying this out and will watch for results. I can see how this might stop the alerts for “internet lost” and the re-connect alert (which I think is a good idea) may help me pinpoint the activity. I still question the repetitions, but let’s wait and see what the outcome of not turning off my adapter is.
I investigated this issue and found we use a Windows API to check if a connection is lost or not. It’s not some magic we’re doing on our side that can be rewritten somehow. If the API is not functioning correctly there isn’t much we can do.
Our QA will test more in detail to see if the feature works as expected or not.
Thanks for your feedback so we could know about this problem and test it more in detail.
This stopped the GlassWire alerts related to DHCP. It also converts the Windows event from information to an error when the router is switched or the connection to it is lost. This happens because Windows doesn’t use the cached WLAN profile to reconnect.
I’m not investigating any further as the other reasons for “Internet access changed” alerts are more reasonable:
Windows entering sleep mode.
Windows trying to switch the WLAN and Bluetooth devices into low-power mode which they don’t have because they are old.
FYI, GlassWire is proving to be very accurate for “Internet connection is lost”. I’ve went back and looked at alerts that occur twice in the same minute, like in this screenshot: