Unknown device on my network

I just did a scan through “Things” and it reported an additional device, AzureWave Technology. What is it doing there, how did it get there and how can I block it? TIA

@chrislabonne

I searched around and it appears this name could be associated with Chromecast devices, or maybe Playstations. Do you have either one of those things? I think they are the manufacturer for those items.

As far as blocking it, if you are sure it should not be there you should probably reset your WiFi password on your network since your network is no longer secure.

Azurewave make WiFi components for computers and IoT devices.

The device is more likely to be a computer because it has the credentials to access your WiFi network and you’d probably remember giving access to a light bulb or toaster.

The only things I have on the network are 2 laptops. They have been on all day but I just checked and azure is no longer listed. Both laptops use the same VPN but those devices are accounted for on the list. I’m perplexed. Could it have been some device that gained access, then left?

@chrislabonne

If you press “scan” to scan manually does the device reappear?

A manual scan is how I discovered it in the first place. I just scanned before writing this and it’s not there. I have 2 laptops running and both of them are Identified by their names.

If it was me I’d probably just reset my WiFi to have a new password just to be safe.

1 Like

I agree. It’s a good idea. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Is it maybe your router? I believe I used to have one that showed up as AzureWave.

2 Likes

I doubt it because I’ve been using the same router for some time now and it always identifies itself as NETGEAR.

1 Like

I have an Azurewave Technologies device on my network and it is a Google Chromecast streamer.

1 Like