VirusTotal Functionality

We are aware of the issue from VirusTotal and we are working with them to resolve this as quickly as we can.

Thanks for your patience.

Katie

4 Likes

Approximately when is this expected to be resolved please?

2 Likes

Some updates would be nice

We are still working with the team at VirusTotal to get this issue resolved. In the interim we are implementing a change to the feature which will allow users to activate VirusTotal via a personal API key. We are aiming to release this in two weeks time.

Best,
Katie

2 Likes

I see the new version is of v3 is out which requires that you to register for and add a personal/public API key to restore file checking. This public key may not be suitable for certain business workflows and registration with VirusTotal will result in additional data collection.

Given the price of GlassWire, and with automatic file checking being part of the advertised feature set, I feel the correct approach would be for GlassWire to include the unrestricted Premium API for it’s licensed customers.

2 Likes

Hi @ittroll,

That is correct the new version with a VirusTotal fix is now released. Our VirusTotal integration has always used a public API key, please see more information about this here.

Best,
Katie

1 Like

I read the article, but my API key doesn’t show that it can use 500 requests per day:

You own a standard free end-user account. It is not tied to any corporate group and so it does not have access to VirusTotal premium services. You are subjected to the following limitations:

Access level Limited, standard free public API Upgrade to premium
Usage Must not be used in business workflows, commercial products or services.
Request rate 1 lookups / min
Daily quota 1 lookups / day
Monthly quota 31 lookups / month

I’ve had the virustotal account for 5 years now so it’s not because I just signed up or something

Hi @stevehansen,

I am not sure why your personal API has these limits. Perhaps the limitations were different 5 years ago?

I can confirm that the VirusTotal personal free public API has the below limitations:

Access level Limited, standard free public API
Request rate 4 lookups / min
Daily quota 500 lookups / day
Monthly quota 15.5 K lookups / month

Best,
Katie

1 Like

Hi Katie.
I have just logged into my VT account and have the same information as @stevehansen shows.
I have had the VT account for a couple of years, too.

I keep getting “ATTENTION: You have consumed your Daily VT API calls” emails every day.

Does the “You own a standard free end-user account. It is not tied to any corporate group and so it does not have access to VirusTotal premium services. You are subjected to the following limitations:” indicate we perhaps have to tie in to a “GlassWire corporate group”?
If that exists?

Thanks.

Hi @Gpowell,

This is bizarre. My only guess is that VirusTotal use to have different limitations which they have since changed for new accounts.

According to VirusTotals website “The Public API is limited to 500 requests per day and a rate of 4 requests per minute.” and is " available for everyone to use at no cost. The only thing you need in order to use the Public API is to sign up to VirusTotal Community and obtain your API key as described in Getting started.".

If you have an old account with stricter limitations than described, it might be best to set up a new account to ensure you benefit from current limitations stated.

Best,
Katie

ref: Public vs Premium API

1 Like

Hi Katie.
Thanks for the advice. Deleted original profile and created a new one.
Note the updated data from the @stevehansen version - which WAS the same as my old profile.

Virus Total NEW quota

I’ll let it run for a while and see if I get the “consumed” emails again.

Thanks,
Greg.

2 Likes

It is good to see this is working again, albeit now requiring separate registration and data sharing with a third-party. It would be better if Elite/Premium GlassWire licence holders got use of the Premium VirusTotal API though.

I second that. Nice call. :smile:

Today I updated from GlassWire Pro (lifetime) v2.3.449 to the latest GlassWire v3.3.498.

So far, so good! Everything running as expected.

It automatically migrated my Pro license, no account creation was required, and manually adding my new free VirusTotal personal API key (500 lookups per day) was painless. Was also able to turn off automatic updates!

Well done!

Hi Katie_Glasswire,

Unfortunately, the work-around for using a VirusTotal personal API key is not workable.

The personal API Key is limited to 1 lookup per day.

When will the Glasswire issue with VirusTotal be fixed?

From the VirusTotal website:

Access level Limited, standard free public API[Upgrade to premium]
Usage Must not be used in business workflows, commercial products or services.
Request rate 1 lookups / min
Daily quota 1 lookups / day
Monthly quota 31 lookups / month
1 Like

Hi @DaddyVader,

It seems you have an old VirusTotal account like some others in the thread. As mentioned above:

According to VirusTotals website “The Public API is limited to 500 requests per day and a rate of 4 requests per minute .” and is " available for everyone to use at no cost. The only thing you need in order to use the Public API is to sign up to VirusTotal Community and obtain your API key as described in Getting started .".

If you have an old account with stricter limitations than described, it might be best to set up a new account to ensure you benefit from current limitations stated.

Best,
Katie