VPN used, but Windows is showing other established connections

Hi.

I am a little bit confused. I am using a Wireguard VPN and expect that all traffic is tunneled via the VPN. But according to Wireglass, for example, the Chrome browser still has some direct connections to other servers. How is this possible? Is Windows not respecting all traffic to be sent through the VPN tunnel, or is it a Wireglass issue not showing traffic statistics correctly?

GlassWire is a historical network monitor, so it can show past activity also. Is it possible that we’re showing past activity when the VPN was off, or some activity from when your VPN temporarily unexpectedly disconnected?

Hi. Unfortunately not. I deleted all traffic history and while most traffic (the real-time 5 minutes chart) goes through the VPN, CHrome, for example, sends and receives data all the time. Interestingly, when I run a speed test in Chrome to create some heavy traffic, both Chome usage and the VPN usage increase by a couple of hundreds of megabytes at the same time…somehow usage is counted twice (for the VPN and for Chrome).

A VPN should increase traffic for your PC.

But it probably shouldn’t double it.

Did you load a chrome extension?

Option 3: Disable Chrome Extensions
Most of the popular VPN services like ExpressVPN offers Chrome browser extension for Windows and Mac. If you are using Chrome VPN extension, uninstall it and try to use the desktop app. This will help you to confirm the problem is with the VPN server side or on Chrome browser side.

If you have installed other Chrome extensions, they could be the reason behind VPN connection error even when you use desktop VPN app. To fix the problem, you should disable the suspected extensions. To do so:

Type “chrome://extensions” in your Chrome Address box and press enter.
Identify any Proxy-related privacy extensions from the list, switch off the toggle button to disable or click the “Remove” button to uninstall the extension.