Will GlassWire someday work with Avast firewall?

I am new to GlassWire and so far I like what I see. However, I use Avast Internet Security, thus I am denied one of the most interesting features of GW. My question is: are the designers of GW going to also make future version to work with Avast firewall as it does now with Windows firewall?
Either way, I like GW and will continue using it but I like the option to be able to block programs when I need to.
Thanks for your time.

@josephpstich I think Avast’s firewall is proprietary and I think it allows no away for us to work with it, so unfortunately we can’t work with their firewall. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I think they may have an antivirus only product option with no firewall.

Thank you for your response. I am simply a writer with little deep IT security expertise so I would not be in the league to correct you. I simply hoped that someday, maybe soon, GlassWire would work with work with the Avast firewall. Probably just wishful thinking. Regards, J

Perhaps someone on the GlassWire development team would have an answer to this question???

I don’t work for GlassWire but I do have a view on this…

I recently looked at Avast security software because of the security issues they’ve been having in recent years, e.g. https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/Multiple-Vulnerabilities-in-Avast-Antivirus/

The Avast Firewall does not appear to have a publicly documented API but Avast may have a privately documented API which is available to users of their business products. If this API existed it could be used to integrate corporate systems with Avast security software. Although there is some mention of such an API existing, I couldn’t find any mention of it on the Avast site. If the API does exist then there is a further issue for you because Avast Internet Security is a product for home networks and is not part of their Business products.

In comparison, the Windows Firewall is designed to be used by any third-party and it has a publicly documented API:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff956124(v=vs.85).aspx

I suggest that you contact Avast as they are unlikely to provide an API for GlassWire to use unless there is demand for it.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I figured that it would be this way, the Avast firewall. I have the paid version of Avast which makes it very difficult to utilize the Windows firewall. I wish that I had found GlassWire just a month earlier, as this was when I purchased a year subscription for Avast. I shall poke around with the Avast program to see if I can use its better features while still utilizing Windows firewall…we’ll see. Again, thanks.

1 Like

Does anyone out there know how to turn off the paid version of the Avast firewall?

I found these instructions online, but I cannot confirm.

Open your Avast and go to Protection » Firewall
Switch to OFF state and select for how long you want to disable it
Confirm by clicking Yes if dialog appears