Windows 10 glasswire control service high cpu usage

Hello, so lately I was thinking my cpu cooler was bad, but now I found the culprit, glasswire control service is keeping 1 core of my cpu at 100% which is keeping my cpu boosted up.

Is there a solultion for this? this is constant since the last update and is risking my cpu of overheating unless I kill it so the cpu can go back to idle.

@Mytre

What firewall mode are you in? In “Ask to connect” mode we have found there are a few games that can act kind of crazy if they are blocked and they do kind of a DDOS on the firewall that can spike CPU usage. We’re working on a solution for that crazy weird behavior for a few unusual games. Could that issue apply to you, is it a game you’re running while this happens?

If you go to our top left menu and choose “About”, what version of GlassWire are you using? We recently released a major update.

I am using version 2.2.241, so far no game is running and firewall is off…

This is after boot with only steam, discord and xbox app open and no traffic whatsoever shown in the graph.

I just updated to that version also, as the version I had before was working perfectly fine.

in the meantime I uninstalled glasswire as this constant 100% of one of the threads is keeping my cpu boosted to its max clock and keeping it hot.

@Mytre

Could you email me with a link to this thread? I have a version of GlassWire you can test that will save some logs on your PC that can diagnose the issue. https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

I have the same issue since last update (2.2.241). The app itself is also using higher CPU usage, but i can get it to drop to under 1% if i change the theme from daylight to asphalt or asphalt to daylight, whichever one it wasn’t when the PC was restarted.

Like the above poster, one of my cores is at 100%. For comparison, before update both the control service and app would remain at 0–0.1%, after update they bounce between 6–8% (app can be reduced by changing theme as mentioned above). Firefox, with 11 tabs open, 3 of which are youtube, is at 0.3%.

Tried turning a whole bunch of stuff off (Dropbox, Googledrive, Onedrive, skype, VPN, etc) but no change. No games running. No Xbox app.

2 Likes

Could you email me with a link to this thread? I have a version of GlassWire you can test that will save some logs on your PC that can diagnose the issue. https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

@Another

Same issue here. It even freezes my entire os if i start for example league client. I will try a fresh reinstall now.

1 Like

Sorry for the issue. Please let me know if the clean install solves the problem or not.

Right now it seems that this solved my issue.

1 Like

Restarting my PC fixed this for me on version 2.3.318.

1 Like

I’m glad everything is working well for you @Tag. Please note we have released many updates since this 2020 thread was started and GlassWire uses very low cpu usage.

We also have a new “Lite” version for people with limited hardware that need to have extremely low CPU usage.
https://blog.glasswire.com/2020/10/06/introducing-glasswire-lite/

1 Like