Windows 11 Pro exploited?

I have a new laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed. I have good reason to believe my home network has been compromised by a malicious hacker nearby. Anyone can read instructions on how to exploit. So easy, a child can do it.

Several events occurred that lead me to believe my new laptop has been compromised as well. These aren’t conclusive so I’m asking your advice.

1. Notepad had 6 tabs open that I didn’t create/open, each containing a bit of data that I copy/pasted into a text document (one was my Glasswire registration number). These mystery tabs in Notepad were all unsaved.

2. A path to a file from my file:///C:Users/[Me]/AppData/Local/Temp folder ending with .xpi was found in a Firefox tab search bar.

3. Glasswire crashed. I have the .dmp file. How can I have support look at it?

I know there are vulnerabilities on Windows 11 and all OS’s but how can Glasswire prevent exploitations? Thanks.

1. Do you use Firefox as your main browser? an xpi is a Firefox addon, like an adblocker or noscript.
  2. Glasswire can crash without it always being malware installed.
  3. Do you have Malwarebytes and another antivirus installed on your windows pc?
  4. Does anyone else have access to your computer?
  5. You say your home wifi has been compromised do you see additional hosts on your wifi? What is the wifi encryption and if your using a simple password like your phone number it would be a good idea to change it.
1 Like

While I would never 100% guarantee you are not subject to some sort of attack without full analysis of your system, there is nothing in your post that would indicate any specific exploitation or malicious hacker has taken control of your system. The multiple tabs in notepad sounds like your clipboard history has been opened in notepad, all items being text that you state you have copied pasted. Will need to research the link between the Windows 11 notepad and the new Windows 11 clipboard history, but nothing here indicates a hacker has created these tabs.Timenest0001, has already provided acceptable responses to other issues raised.

1 Like