Can't see all devices

Hi,

Currently there are at least 4 active wifi devices connected to my router but all I can see on Glasswire is my router, my phone and another. It doesn’t show the other active phone or the ipad - both are currently active and being used. The Net scanner app shows all the active ones as connected to the router.
I purchased the basic version a few days back so the laptop has been booted plenty of times.
I’m not sure what else to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

What type of router do you have? Are your WiFi devices on a separate private network, for example an Apple Router Guest network?

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly :slight_smile: It’s a normal broadband router with all devices connected to the same home network.

Dear Servo_GlassWire Help,

Just in case you’re interested, the issue is still there, only worse. Now I can’t see any device except for the router.

Sorry for the problem. Have you rebooted since installing GlassWire? GlassWire can’t always detect all connections until a reboot. We warn about this with the installer but don’t force the reboot.

As I said in my original post, the purchase was a while back so the laptop has been rebooted plenty of times. I’m posting this from my laptop and surfing on my phone (to test the app) and the only network device Glasswire shows is the modem/router. Net Scanner shows all 3 online plus the kids’ tabs.

Joy, is there any chance that the unseen devices are connected to another router? Glasswire can only see traffic on the router (subnet) on which it’s main client is connected. So, for example, a phone that is on on 4G but not set to use wifi, will not be seen by Glasswire. Some setups have more than one router for various reasons and that could prevent Glasswire seeing all devices.

Also, the current version of Glasswire can be slow to detect devices (and may never drop a removed device). Since this post has been active for more than two weeks, I assume that you have currently checked to see what devices are now shown in the Network tab.

No intent to insult – we all make mistakes or forget.

Hi Richlife69,

Thank you for replying. I have only one router in the house. Earlier I could see only a couple of the devices connected to the network and so wrote this post. I recently changed my router and now I can’t see any device on GlassWire except the router itself. I’ve rebooted the computer, exited GW and started fresh but nothing is making a dfference.

@Joy Does your router have a security mode that separates your devices? Do you use a “guest” mode of some type?

Yes, what Ken asked. Also, if you do have a “guest” option, does Glasswire show the same devices in both modes?

And my Netgear router allows me to show Connected Devices. Does your router have a similar function? and does it show all the devices connected?

Stretching a bit here as I don’t know what to expect myself, but some new routers have both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz radio channels. If this describes your router, are all the devices on the same channels? Ken, do you have any idea how Glasswire would handle routers that use two different frequencies?

The issue of how dual bands work and how they configured is a later step in resolving this problem. The first step is to look at the network adapter (also called a NIC or network interface card) in the laptop because that determines what GlassWire can see.

In @Joy’s situation, GlassWire may well be showing all the devices that are visible from the laptop. I say this because Netscanner is a phone app that runs on iOS and Android. If I’m correct that Netscanner doesn’t run on Windows then Netscanner is using the network adapter in the phone so it shows what is visible from the phone and not what is visible from the laptop. That’s why there may be a difference because the two network adapters have different capabilities.

If @Joy provides the details of the network adapters in her laptop and her mobile phone then we can determine whether they should be seeing the same devices. It is usually sufficient to know the make and model of the phone to determine its network adapter. For the laptop we may need more information than just the laptop make and model but that would be a first step anyway.

By the way, we are working on changing how this feature works with 2.0 so it updates faster and is more useful. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Thank you for your replies :slight_smile: I’ve tried to answer your questions the best I can

• I have a guest option but it is not used.
  • I’m not sure about the security option that separates devices but since I haven’t played with the settings, I’m guessing no?
  • All the devices are on 2.4GHz
  • The NIC is Dual Band - AC 3165

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello Joy,

Please email us the brand of your router and model.
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Thanks

I’m having the same issue. I just purchase GlassWire today. I have rebooted twice. There are 2 laptops, a wireless printer, and mobile phone all sharing the same network…a USB modem plugged into a Cradlepoint CTR35 router. If I’m reading the network devices correctly, it appears that it picks up the router as a device? The printer shows as a device. The Laptop which GW is not installed own shows as a device. But I don’t see the mobile phone.

It’s a private network, with no guest sign in feature.

Also, I was under the impression that GlassWire would measure all data used through a particular network. So in my instance, that it would track all data from both laptops and the phone when they are connected to the one network…my usb modem/router setup. Is that correct?

Please try pinging the devices and see if you are able to reach them from your PC. If you cannot reach the devices then they must be segmented from you somehow.

GlassWire can measure data from devices it’s installed on, like other PCs. GlassWire can’t measure data from the other devices on your network.

I don’t know how to do that.

My router picks up all the devices. But you are saying that my PC needs to see them?

Sometimes routers have “guest” network features that purposely segment devices for security reasons. So if your router has this feature your PC won’t be able to see the other devices unfortunately. You could go to www.whatismyip.com with those other devices, then to ping them from your PC use these instructions https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737478(v=ws.10).aspx.

Yes, your computer running GlassWire has to be able to see the device. If your computer is cable connected and your phone is wireless connected then you may not be able to see it.

If you want to, here is how you can ping all the devices on the subnet that your computer is on.

Open a Windows command window:

• Press the Windows key to get the Start menu
  • Type in “Command” to search for the “Command Prompt”.
  • Select “Command Prompt”

Another way to do it is:

• Press Windows key + R
  • Enter “CMD”

And a third way to do it is:

• Right click on the Start menu icon, normally at the bottom left of the screen
  • Select “Command Prompt” from the menu

A new Window should open for you to enter commands. See the example below:

You need to know the IP address range for the local subnet. The IP address is four parts and you need to find out the first three parts:

• If you know your router/gateway IP address, e.g. 192.168.1.1, or your PC IP address, e.g. 192.168.1.9, then you know the all the addresses will start with the first three parts of that address, e.g. 192.168.1.
  • If you don’t know those addresses then you can enter IPCONFIG and read the “Default Gateway” or “IPv4 Address” to get them, as shown below.

Now you can ping all addresses from 0-254 (you don’t need to ping 255) by entering the following command:
for /L %i in (1,1,254) do ping -n 1 192.168.1.%i | find /i “TTL”

Any IP address that returns a reply will be displayed. In my example below, 192.168.1.1 has a reply but 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 do not.

You can check the IP addresses that reply against the local network DHCP on your router and the GlassWire Device list.

1 Like