Firewall re-prompting and double entries


#1

Yesterday, January’s updates for Windows 10 were installed (KB4483235, KB4480116, KB4480056).

Today, all my apps are re-prompting for network access. If I look at the firewall profile in GlassWire the affected apps have double entries.

I’m running GlassWire Elite 2.1.140


#2

@ittroll

I installed the updates, but I did not see this problem myself and I have not seen it reported by others.

To solve it please do this:

Uninstall GlassWire in add/remove programs.

Go to your “Windows Firewall” control panel and choose “restore defaults”.

Reboot - IMPORTANT

Install GlassWire using our “clean install” and “reset firewall” options.


#3

Thanks, but that would mean I would have to re-enter all my configuration again, including settings beyond the firewall list. That nuclear option doesn’t seem like a good solution.

I went through the app list and manually deleted the duplicates.

It would be useful if the firewall list recorded the date the app last accessed the network. You can then easily delete old apps/entries which haven’t been active for x days.


#4

Yes, I am sorry for the issue.

The reason I suggested this is that somehow during the Windows update I think your Firewall settings with Windows were somehow corrupted, so if something is corrupted I’m not sure what else can be done besides reset it. If it’s corrupted or having an issue then the problem will continue until you do a clean reset.

But saying that, I have never heard of any GlassWire user having this issue after a Windows update so perhaps the problem is related to something else. Here is a link that explains how to backup everything if you want to keep all your current settings, then try some different options to solve the problem.

https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings


#5

Thanks for the link. I refer back to that should I continue to have problems. However it looks like it is behaving now.

Looking in the Windows Firewall MMC, I could see two GlassWire entries for each app; the original one and the newly created one. They appeared identical other than the numerical ID used in the name. So for example googleupdate.exe appeared as both {Glasswire.app.in_29} and {Glasswire.app.in_218}.

So am not sure if it was Windows or GlassWire which got very confused.


#6

I will ask our QA to run the update and see if they can notice the issue happen with GlassWire so we can solve it. Thanks for your detailed report, and I apologize for the problem.


#7

So I think the update was a red herring. GlassWire has done it again and no Windows updates have been installed recently. All apps started re-prompting for network access, but this time they were still denied access even when I clicked Allow. In Windows Firewall I could see multiple rule entries for the same app under different Glasswire.app.out_nn entries. The rules showed that the app should be allowed but clearly were not being processed correctly.

I therefore took the nuclear option and did a full reset of my GlassWire installation and Windows Firewall. So I know for sure that I am starting from a completely clean slate. I now have the pleasure of re-allowing/denying all my apps and re-labelling all my network devices. :cry:

I hope that will be a permanent solution and that GlassWire isn’t as fragile as the name implies!