Glasswire keeps creating dmp file on desktop

After every restart of my pc glasswire will produce many "GWIdlMon.exe.#####.dmp"s on my desktop. Here is a dropbox link to one of the files in question.
www. dropbox.com/s/3ci0sj10dmo8u68/GWIdlMon.exe.11480.dmp?dl=0

i have the same thing im also looking for a way to stop it. would be a shame to have to get a new program as glasswire is quite good.

hey mate just to let ya know i may have just found a fix. you gotta delete a registry key.
iv havent had another dmp file after i done this
Run regedit.exe
Find key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\GWIdlMon.exe
Remove this key.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work. It’s still creating dmp files. This is pissing me off. I’ve searched for any solution on the problem and still nothing! Dude!

GWCtlSrv.exe.[RANDOM_NUMBER].dmp

I’ve uninstalled using the “Clean install” checkbox and still the issue persists.

The files vary in size from a few hundred KB to hundreds of MB! What the hell is it dumping? The browser’s cache?

Seems to always occur when running “shutdown.exe -s -t 0” at night right after closing the browser. Then the next day, surprise! A dump file on the FUCKING DESKTOP! Why the desktop, man? Why isn’t there a checkbox in the Settings window TO NOT CREATE DUMP FILES! You know what… I’m just gonna uninstall. I created an account just to say this. Too bad. The software looked ok but those dmp files are too fucking annoying. I don’t know who thought it was a good idea. It’s not. Maybe it was intended for debug purposes during development and you guys forgot to turn it off before releasing it, I don’t know. It definitely doesn’t look like a feature. Wtf.

@zDSpider

Please send us a dump file or two via a cloud service if possible so we can investigate and fix the problem. Dump files help us figure out what’s going wrong so we can fix it.

https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Hi all,

100% agree, even I would use other words :wink: I will supply my dmp files next time before I’ve shreddered them.

1 Like

Some other people sent similar files, so we think we found the cause of this and we’re working on a public update. But please, if anyone is crashing please send us the files!

dmp file (159 MByte !) is stored in the cloud and email is being sent to bugs(at)glasswire. Hope that helps.

@CaBe

When did you send it? I don’t see it yet.

didn’t work now, as my hidrive cloud didn’t accept such a big file. Try to upload to another space or can you provide some space?

Maybe try Google Drive? Sorry for the hassle!

okay, 2nd try also failed. Now Google drive is my friend. But upload is slowly. Takes about 20 min per file! Link just sent to support team.

I think we got the email, but please give our dev team several days to download the files before moving them. Thank you.

Now 4 every user here in the forum. With providing a new version, everything works fine now. No dmp file is stored on the desktop. Hope, it is stored nowhere else as the file size is relative big. Wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
CaBe

2 Likes

Well. I’m just here to report the same thing is happening again. Random dmp files created on desktop after each shut down or restart of windows. Surprised to see this was a 2016 issue. Went ahead and uninstalled GW. Thanks.

1 Like

@well_wisher

Sending the .dmp file and letting us know what version of GlassWire you use could have allowed us to solve the issue for you.

Our current app is version 2.2. You’re most likely using an old version.

If anyone in the future has this issue you should email us the .dmp using a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive (the files are often quite large). We can then find the cause and suggest a solution, or fix it for everyone. How to contact us: https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

I saw you wrote you were “surprised to see this was a 2016 issue.” You should be glad GlassWire generates .dmp files after crashes. It means we care and we want to fix the issue.

A .dmp file is a file that we have made GlassWire generate in the case of a crash. This file helps us find the cause and fix it. Do you think that our software should never crash since 2016 with the myriad of thousands of combinations of Windows OS and hardware versions? It would be very nice and I wish that was possible!

I think all developers wish they could make a software used by millions of people that would have absolutely no crashes for anyone for 4 years.

Alas we cannot do so… Sorry for the issue.

1 Like

That is a very good point. Windows itself creates dump files yet GlassWire is the only app I use that does so Maybe that is why many people will think it is a bad thing. But I appreciate the effort you make.

1 Like

Created an account this morning to report the same thing.
Turned on my computer this morning to find GWCtlSrv.exe.5064.dmp with a file size of just over 200mb on my desktop.
Im not her to complain however, because I know why dmp files are created.

I am pretty sure this was created as a result of a power outage I experienced the other day, while my PC was power on and running. It was a sag actually, but my PC still shut down. Luckily I have a appliance in between the power and my PC so when that does happen, it wont damage the internals of the PC.

I would like to take the opportunity to ask a couple of questions though.

1. whats with the double extension “.exe.xxxx.dmp” I found this to be suspicious because its a method that threat actors can use to obfuscate a true file type.
  2. I reviewed the file myself, and I cant say that I am completely happy with what appears to be some semi-sensitive information inside, namely several website url’s and ip addresses.
  3. I also see some info regarding certificate authorities.
  4. I also see some info to suggest which AV platform is currently on this machine.

That was only after a 5 minute review.

So heres my point, and friendly suggestion:

I saw my banking site in this dmp file, so I dont want to share this file.
I saw my bitcoin site in this dmp file, so I dont want to share this file.
I found some information related to my machine which displayed my real name, my ISP and other identifying pieces of information so I don’t want to share this file.

I would feel better if you folks had a secure upload portal of sorts in lieu of dropbox or google, and this is my suggestion to you, if possible.If you folks needed to see this dmp, I would prefer to hand it directly to you through a secure channel

I like your app, it works well and provides me with valuable information. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

@GW_enduser

Sorry for the issue.

If you go to our top left menu and choose “About” what version of GlassWire do you have?

Also, just to be clear, GlassWire does not create dmp files. This is done by Windows automatically and we don’t control what’s put in there.

.dmp files are only on your own device and nobody else can read them unless you send them to us but it appears you realize that. I am only posting this in case someone thinks we somehow collect this information. We never have access to any of that .dmp information. https://www.glasswire.com/privacy/

We will consider your feedback and investigate if there is a way to improve this.

Its all good. It wasn’t criticism, just a suggestion.
Thank you for the clarification, I have never seen Windows create a dmp file like that. (with exe and dmp extensions)
Apologies if my post sounded incendiary, as it definitely was not. It didn’t want to suggest that you collected the data I mentioned, but it is still in there.

To answer your question, I am still on version 2.1.167

Thanks

1 Like