Glasswire "Things" Tab

Just putting this out to users of Glasswire, to see if others are experiencing the same issue as me.

I am using the latest version 2.1.152 with the all clean install option.

Under the “Things” tab, every time I boot the PC and then take a look in the “Things” I don’t have a list of any kind showing, it’s all blank. (See attached image below) I then have to click the scan button to propagate the list of devices. The list will then appear, but when I reboot the PC list is blank again and I have to re-scan again as previously mentioned.

My questions are if I may put it out there.

1. Is this happening with anyone else?

2. I am at a loss as to where to start or what to look for, that could cause this. Yes, over the years one might make changes to windows, but I can’t figure what I might have done to cause this to happen, or how to troubleshoot and fix this issue. So i thought i might ask other tech savvy users what they might think, how to solve this.

I did a test and installed version 1 and this works with no issue, but under version 2, I have the problem.

FYI - Ken has been trying to help solve my issue and it’s a mystery to them. As he quoted

“We can only guess something changed with your network, because GlassWire just pulls the data from a Windows API. Nothing changed on our side.”

Thank you in advance…

1 Like

Yeah I got that as well. To be fair my GW actually sees my router, but nothing else until I scan the network.

It started a few versions after 2.0, but I thought it was intended since in the update the devs said that they disabled auto scanning since it took up too much resources and instead implemented the scan button and just thought that that also meant the startup scan.

IF this isn’t intentional then I agree it would be a nice fix OR if at least we could get the option to auto run a scan on startup. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Petlan

Our customers complained about our previous IOT device checking method, because it could cause some problems on some networks. It would also sometimes cause false positives as kind of an attack with some sophisticated enterprise security software.

Therefore we had to make this change. You can go to our General settings (top left GlassWire menu) to make the scanning happen automatically and more often.

ÁH, so it wasn’t just a resource problem, but actual “system rules” that were too enforced? Good to know. :slight_smile:

Okay I found the Scan interval, but then that also applies a scan on startup? I’ll try it out and see how it goes. Thank you!

Hi Servo_GlassWire

Maybe they could add another option under the general settings “Things scan 5 minutes once only after booting” Or what ever time one might set?
I know this would fix my problem.
Thank you.

1 Like

@GlassWare

I’ll share this with our team and see if there are technical problems with this, thanks.

Hi Servo_GlassWire.

I just did a rough example of how this setting could be. It might be a help with other users as well because it would re-fresh the “Things” list. And help with my problem.
Thanks again.

2019-03-21_104247

1 Like

Here’s one for you, instead of showing nothing I have 180+ devices. Is this program extremely sensitive or is my ISP lying to me.

@Will1

It may be how your ISP has configured their network. Perhaps you’re able to see all other devices in your neighborhood, or apartment building?

Well ok that was taken into consideration but when I asked about this a while ago I got a completely different answer. That and my ISP did actually tell me that shouldn’t be happening. Just had to double check I suppose. Thanks.

Sorry @Will1. We issue a certain type of command to list all devices and if your PC can see them, then we list them for you.

If you’d like to click my nickname and send me a screenshot maybe I can see if it’s some kind of issue or bug if you’d like? Then you don’t have to post your device list to the public here.

It is possible that you can see devices on the ISP network. Normal the ISP device that you connect to (a modem for DSL and cable, or the ONT for optical fibre) provides this isolation/segregation. However some networks do allow you to see other devices on the ISP’s network if you don’t use a router to logically segregate your computer. There’s a couple of examples in this forum, e.g.:

This was probably the case for you too when you posted last year because installing a new router meant the other devices were no longer detected:

So if those devices have started be detected again then what has changed to allow this?

Well yes that was last year, I wasn’t aware of some things at the time. Honestly I was just trying to kill some time and saw that it had come up again. By this point though I actually do know who and why this is happening, thank you though.

2 Likes

FYI, we made some changes and the next update should no longer have this issue. Thanks for your detailed feedback and reporting.

2 Likes

Great news, Thank you Glasswire team.

1 Like

A manual “Things” scan now takes a very long time to return a list of devices.

I have always had my “Things scan interval” unchecked, and just do a manual scan whenever i want to check this.

@zzz00m

Have you changed anything with your network? It’s strange because we have not changed anything with “Things” in a long time.

However, due to feedback here we have made some changes that will be out in the future.

1 Like

The only thing that I have done is uninstalled the deprecated WinPcap, and installed the new Wireshark, which installs the Npcap loopback adapter (Packet capture library for Windows) by default. I am just running my typical USB wifi adapter as usual.
https://nmap.org/npcap/
https://www.wireshark.org/

1 Like

I am the same as you and uninstalled the deprecated WinPcap and now using Npcap loopback adapter. I have noticed the scan under "Thing" is taking longer to resolve than it did in the past.
As Ken said - Due to feedback here, we have made some changes that will be out in the future.

let’s hope with the new update, Things is fixed

1 Like

Please be on our lookup for our next update with some “Things” changes due to your feedback.

1 Like