How to decide which edition of GlassWire I need

NOTE: This topic was written for GlassWire version 1 and needs to be updated to reflect the changes for GlassWire version 2.

This is a simple guide to provide you with information about the GlassWire editions and the main differences between them. This is not intended to be an exhaustive analysis of all the options you might have. That is why we only discuss four questions based on GlassWire version 1.2.

When deciding which GlassWire licence to buy you should consider the following questions:

• How many computers need the paid licence features? 1, 3, 10 or more
  • How many computers do I want to monitor at the same time? 2, 4, 11 or more
  • How much history do I want to keep? 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, or more

What are the differences between the editions?

The paid GlassWire editions are compared on the Buy GlassWire page.

A comparison with the free GlassWire edition is visible in this forum. Please note the following points:

• The main difference between the free edition and the paid editions is that only the activated installs have all the GlassWire features.
  • The free edition can be installed on as many PCs as you like. The most significant limitations are likely to be the following:
    • no more than one other PC can be monitored at a time
    • no mini graph viewer
    • no ask to connect or lock down modes for the firewall
    • no mic or webcam alerts
  • Paid licences are a one-time payment rather than a repeating or periodic payment like other monitoring products.
Features by edition: Glasswire Free GlassWire Basic GlassWire Pro GlassWire Elite
Activated PC installs per licence na 1 3 10
GlassWire monitoring:
+ GlassWire monitors / clients 1 1 3 10
+ Monitor multiple servers simultaneously N Y Y Y
+ Servers monitored per client 1 3 10 ∞ unlimited
History of network activity:
+ Retention period (months) 1 6 12 ∞ unlimited
User interface features:
+ Mini graph viewer N Y Y Y
+ Skins / Graph themes 7 12 12 12
Firewall features:
+ Ask to connect firewall N Y Y Y
+ Lock down / Block all mode N Y Y Y
Device detection:
+ Who's on your WiFi or network N Y Y Y
Monitoring alerts:
+ Webcam enabled/disabled N Y Y Y
+ Microphone enabled/disabled N Y Y Y
+ Settings changed Y Y Y Y
+ 12 other types of alert Y Y Y Y

How many computers need the paid licence features?

Only the activated installs have all the GlassWire features. This means, for example, that the Elite licence only provides the full features for ten PCs but you can monitor as many free installs as you like.

If you need the full features for more than ten PCs then you can buy more licenses or contact GlassWire about a volume licence.

How many computers do I want to monitor at the same time?

This is a key criterion for deciding which version to buy.

The following table shows the number of PCs that can be monitored with each version. The potential price per monitored server drops dramatically.

In practice, the Elite version’s unlimited (∞) monitoring is probably limited by system resources. Anyway, I’ve chosen the arbitrary value of 50 remote servers per GlassWire client.

Feature by edition: Glasswire Free GlassWire Basic GlassWire Pro GlassWire Elite
Monitor/client PCs 1 1 3 10
Monitored PCs per monitor (includes the monitor/client PC) 2 4 11 ∞ e.g. 50
Total monitored PCs 2 4 33 ∞ e.g. 500
Licence price nil as free $ 49 $ 99 $149
Price per monitored PC nil as free $12.25 $ 3.00 e.g. $ 0.30

How much history do I want to keep?

The history retention period increases for the paid editions.

History by edition: Glasswire Free GlassWire Basic GlassWire Pro GlassWire Elite
History retention period 1 month 6 months 12 months ∞ unlimited

:pencil2: How to improve this topic

This is a wiki post, like all the other #how-to topics, so feel free to improve the content. Just leave a reply explaining what you’ve done and why it makes sense to do it that way.

If this topic helped you then please :heart: it so we can see what is most helpful to people.

4 Likes

This was very informative & answered 10+ questions I didn’t even know I had! Thank you very much & now I am glad I purchased the Elite instead of Basic.

2 Likes

@SiNNER

Thank you for purchasing!

Also thanks to @Remah for making such an informative post.

1 Like