Linux / Mac OS support, please

Facing disk usage in mac??

@Zero_Technicals

No, we are changing some things with our backend for Mac, and that update for Windows will come simultaneously and have similar tech/changes.

1 Like

Can’t wait for Glasswire for my Mac! I love this program on my Windows PC.

No need to apologize Ken…I appreciate that there will be Glasswire for the Mac! Bravo!

1 Like

Sorry but the Mac app is delayed further. We hope to have it out in the fall, or by the end of the year. The Mac driver is complicated for us so it’s taking some time. I wanted to make sure everyone knows the status.

It’s also possible we might bring on another Mac developer to speed things up, so anything is possible. Thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

Most of my physical machines are running some variation of UNIX (SmartOS, PfSense, FreeNAS). All of my virtual machines are Linux/Debian/Ubuntu/Mint. My workstations are Mint. I have 3 Windows PCs (2 my daughters use for gaming, and 1 is hooked to the TV in the livingroom). I can’t see the value of paying for a subscription on the 3 Windows PCs used strictly for leisure. I can see the value of buying a subscription for all of my UNIX/Linux Servers and Workstations. In my workplace, Ubuntu has just about taken over on the server end. We still have Active Directory, Exchange, and Windows Workstations, but so much of the important items are done on Ubuntu VMs.

1 Like

Hi Ken, Does it still look like you will have the Mac version by yearend?

@rodwslc

Yes, it should show up on time. Thanks!

1 Like

Ken, Great news! I will be first in line to purchase it. Please let me know as soon as it becomes available.

1 Like

@rodwslc

The Windows/Mac codes will be cross compatible.

I think your wrong on that since all Android’s are Linux based and alot of companies are going Linux for security reasons since windows is losing security.

I think that you are conflating a lot issues which means you can’t see that the GlassWire team are making good decisions here.

The following points mainly rely on one wikipedia article:
https://www.wikipedia.com/en/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Edit: If anyone wants to discuss this issue further then I’ll move it to a new topic so requests by users asking for Linux / Max support aren’t swamped by longer topics about the wherefores and whys.

GlassWire is primarily aimed at end-user and endpoint devices and not for servers.

So GlassWire for Windows is not aimed at Windows Server but Windows Desktop. GlassWire can still run on Windows Server but that is a tiny minority of users.

You will find that Linux has a tiny marketshare for end-users hence it is a lower priority for the GlassWire team:
Source: https://www.wikipedia.com/en/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#/Desktop_and_laptop_computers

Linux distributions are primarily designed for servers. Desktop distributions are usually different.

Ubuntu is the best know distribution that separates server and desktop distributions.

If we look at server distributions, then Linux has dominant marketshare on web servers but most of those servers will never, ever be candidates to use GlassWire:

Source: https://www.wikipedia.com/en/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#/Public_servers_on_the_Internet

The priorities for GlassWire largely follow marketshare.

The priorities so far have been:

1. Windows
  2. Android
  3. macOS

We can use web client marketshare statistics to indicate where they should be putting their focus:
Source: https://www.wikipedia.com/en/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#/Web_clients

Apple iOS has been bypassed despite having nearly 14% marketshare because of feature limitations:

Despite the feature limitations, GlassWire iOS will still be a better option than Linux.

Linux is way behind at about 1% markethshare so it is probably not worthwhile doing this unless the vast majority (e.g. more than 95%) of the coding is the same as the Android and/or macOS versions.

Along the way, Android web client numbers have passed Windows but a Windows version would probably still be the most attractive proposition to start first because of having greater control over features, licensing and pricing.

Linux-based does not mean able to run Linux applications

Application developers have to use many middleware APIs that are not Linux-compatible. So the application code differs between different Android-variants and different Linux-based variants. Being a Linux-based OS does not mean that it will run Linux applications, or vice-versa.

Here’s one example. The Chrome OS used on the Google Chromebook has increasing end-user marketshare and is Linux-based but has not guaranteed that it is able to run native Linux applications. The following link leads to a 2018 announcement of increasing compatibility but notice that this feature is being retrofitted:
https://www.wikipedia.com/en/Chromebook#/Integration_with_Linux

By the way, some marketshare statistics for Linux appear to include ChromeOS even though the applications have not been cross-compatible.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing such valuable information with all of us. This a very valuable information with all of us needed

its 2021 still i can see mac beta version but where is linux???

We have no MacOS beta. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for your feedback on making a Linux version of GlassWire.

will there be a linux version for sure??

I am voting for Linux KDE.

There is new app for KDE plasma-systemmonitor:

It can see which app uses network traffic.
It is possible for future like Glasswire.

You can do it like this app. No limitation of implementation for Linux. Not compared to MacOS that has the limitation of implementation.

Please support Linux. Thanks! We want to donate you.

1 Like

Thanks @Azenis, we will check it out!

hello? glassire promise linux version? when its coming.

Where did we promise a Linux version?

I found that OpenSnitch is an excellent Firewall app for Linux and the good alternative of Glasswire.

It uses your own application rules and an automatic notification popup asking you to allow or deny an app connection, when the connection appeared in network.