GlassWire for MacOS

@Ken_GlassWire are we months or quarters away?

2 Likes

When are we finally going to see this wonder on the Mac?

1 Like

Just assume never at this point. It’s been 3 years pretty much… Plenty of time to develop software. Obviously not a priority in any way. Sorry to sound harsh but its sort of a bad joke at this point with all the promises. Assume never and when it launches in 2025 we’ll be surprised…

3 Likes

In fact, what your saying sounds very true. I can’t even join there emailing list for the beta version…

Fingers crossed!

@m0dus

What error are you seeing? We have not changed anything with our email list at all. Could you post a screenshot or email it to me?
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

It would be great to know what OS and browser you are using, and what exactly is wrong. Our Mac announcement email list is still functioning with absolutely no changes by us at all.

You’re right. That is very harsh.

You are also right that it has been three years since the first proposed release date for late 2016. After missing that set of dates, they pulled back from further commitments for two years.

A kinder analysis would be that we’re really only one year late because the first firm release date I can find was only given a year ago in January 2019. They definitely missed their 2019 target so they now appear to again be reluctant to put up any new date. But it would be helpful to know if a working app exists and if it being live tested.

Just remember that this is a small company with a limited resources so there have to be some compromises. Long lead times are one of those compromises. They also want the Mac version to be out ASAP but they can’t avoid the hard realities of developing network security software for additional platforms with the added complexity of the platforms frequently upgrading their security policies.

The development pathway has been long considering that the Android version was mentioned in February 2017 and arrived later that year. But it made sense for the Android app to be completed before the Mac version because of its higher market share.

Here’s the timeline:

• August - Waiting to see if Windows version is successful.

• April - Thinking about it.
  • November - Working on it.

• April - Hoping to have beta out in October-December
  • October - Maybe beta in January.

• February - Not committing to any dates for Mac version.

• No news

• January - Commit to mid-2019
  • May - Mac version is delayed. Maybe get another developer.
  • September - By year end. Confirmed.

• No dates since.
2 Likes

I can confirm we are actively working on a MacOS version of GlassWire. If we ever terminate the project I will post it here and lock this thread.

The primary issue is that we have no reliable conception of what you mean in terms of a possible delivery date. That’s why you receive comments like think never and then get a pleasant surprise if it happens.

• Why were such firm 2019 dates missed?

• What test phase are you in e.g. unit testing, system testing, alpha testing or beta testing?

• Has a prototype packaged application ever existed for complete system testing?

1 Like

@Remah

2019 dates were missed because we had trouble with the backend of the app.

The UI is actually pretty much done… but we are still in backend development mode. So not even really testing at all.

Nope, no prototype has existed because we are having trouble with the backend that makes it work. Sorry!

1 Like

By backend, do you mean the equivalent of the Windows Filtering Platform (WPF) on your Windows version?

There is a lot more to it than that. Storing data, detecting changes, Things, etc…

Basically the backend that makes it work is still under development.

So do you mean that there is not a lot of “backend” code shared with the Windows version?

You are going to be criticized whatever you do. But can you get out a limited version e.g. with just data monitoring to start with.

1 Like

I think there is zero backend code shared unfortunately. :frowning: But yes, we agree with your idea.

Do you mean that SQLite DB will not be used on Mac?

You can still search for - and find - a page for Mac Glasswire. Get notified! Almost out!

I’m fine with being optimistic but hearing “UI is almost done, just waiting on the back end” would lead people to assume its close. Saying “summer” or “end of year” also would make you think its close. People are paying for the software because they hear the license will work on either platform only to see delay after delay for years - yes years. Jan 18 - comment that they have tested something early but not ready yet. Comments in 18 that licenses would be cross-platform.

I’m not going to argue with you, we can each have our own opinion. I understand the complexity of software develop and the network monitoring space, I am not saying this is an easy task. This isn’t about the software, just my frustration with companies making statements that are misleading and not sticking to commitments. Having a software development “company” is more than just writing code. Taking care of your customers is equally important.

I would have sacked someone: the project manager or developer because you need to be able to rely on projections and deliverables. Overly optimistic schedules wreck budgets and destroy goodwill .

I’ve had all sorts of systems development roles so I’ve been on both ends of this.

@Remah
Developing a product that use features from a moving target is no trivial task.

@Ken_GlassWire
But at the end of the day, a majority of Glasswire customers still use Windows. Catering for some of the features we’ve requested in the “Future Feature Request” is nothing but beneficial for the longevity of this product, I hope Glasswire soon realize that and appoint resources to fullfill some of these things.

MacOS has “Little Snitch” already, and this new software you are developing must not only match their feature set, they must improve on many things Little Snitch lacks or fails to deliver - to even compete just a little bit.

We all want to see you guys prosper, but we also don’t want to feel uncatered either.

@thebradyreport

I wanted to respond to a couple things you said so people know exactly what is going on.

1. You said that we posted that GlassWire is “almost out”. I don’t see that page. Please give me the URL and I will update it.

Instead what we do is, if someone has a Mac we ask them to join our email list so they will get notified when our Mac beta is available. It looks like this.

I guess maybe you could interpret “on the way” to “almost out” but I don’t think we have ever said GlassWire is “almost out”. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Meanwhile I’ll consider changing the text if you think it’s misleading… but I don’t recall ever getting a complaint about it until yours.

1. We have never taken any money from Mac users. In case someone is reading this and they think by your comments that we are somehow taking pre-orders from Mac users and not delivering something, that is blatantly false and that has never happened. We have absolutely zero Mac customers.

I do understand your frustration on the delay and I agree it’s not good, but we don’t purposely mislead people about having a MacOS version of GlassWire and we absolutely do not take money from MacOS users and never have. Not a penny!

All we have is a double opt in MacOS announcement email list and nothing else. Double opt in means the person must insert their email address, then they will receive an email and then they must confirm they want to be on the list.

Again, I apologize for the delay and I will do better to keep people updated on the status of MacOS. If we terminate the project I will let everyone know.

Thanks for your patience while we work through this.

3 Likes

Hi GlassWire,

I understand everything takes time. And I hope it will be out soon :slight_smile:
I see many can’t wait on the release of the Mac OS X version.

Hope to see it soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, I can see the obvious differences are that MacOS is a certified Unix system (think of Linux as a Unix-like system), so that there is little in common with Windows…

But the fact that they got it on Android gives me hope. Android is derived from Linux. :smiley: