To Block "Visual Studio Background Download" = backgrounddownload.exe which tries to connect to Internet From Different Folders.

• Some How Finding Internet is Present (Through Host Process For Windows Services?)
  • Creating Different Folders @ΔT>30 Min Intervals and There is Always a Popup from
    Glasswire to Allow this Executable to Connect to Internet
    So that even though I Block it One Time It Again Asks Next Time and Next and so on…

Q) To Block Same Application-NAME Trying To Connect From Different Folders
(Visual Studio might be Intelligently Auto-Creating This Executable In Different Folders)
BLOCKING RULE: Block Based on “Name Match Only” Rather than “Path & Name Match”

@ptrailblazer89

Thanks for your feedback.

It’s a bit dangerous to allow apps by name, because someone can call their app “exporer.exe” and it can do whatever it wants. Maybe we can consider doing this by signed certificates or something like that instead.

Does this app backgrounddownload.exe have a signed certificate? Or would this make no difference with your issue?

Hi,
I want to be able to Block(Not Allow) backgrounddownload.exe by its name …

Any way is acceptable: {File Executable Checksum, CheckSum CRC Size of Code, address of Entry Point, …}

—> It wouldn’t make any difference to my issue

The Only Irritation is
Glasswire Repeately asks @ΔT>30 Min Intervals whether to block backgrounddownload.exe which tries to connect to internet from different folders

I have the same problem, except I want to allow “Visual Studio Background Download”. New executables with this name are very regularly created, and I’m getting a bit tired of manually allowing them access (plus, it clutters up the Firewall overview). These files are digitally signed by Microsoft Corporation, so that might be a viable approach to the problem. More generally, it might perhaps be nice to be able to allow/block access to all software signed by a certain company (I’m mostly thinking of Microsoft Windows, so I don’t have to manually allow access to all Windows components).

@teunvg

It is on our “to do” list to allow apps signed by certain companies. I agree! The firewall view depends on how the software works. Some software updates and only keeps one icon/name on the firewall, while others change it up a lot. I agree it can be frustrating sometimes with some applications.

@Ken_GlassWire You guys should have a look at Agnitum’s Outpost Pro and see how they did it. That was truly a brilliant software firewall. Surely it can provide ideas and inspiration - such as their Entertainment mode.

1 Like

@Tarun

We will check it out, thanks! Looks like they were shut down and are out of business though? I’ll see what I can find online.

@Ken_GlassWire Yes. They were purchased by Yandex several years ago. However, their software firewall was one of the best with numerous features. Built in adblocking, the aforementioned Entertainment Mode, automatic rules/learning (great for new installs and knowing what to automatically trust/allow), anti-malware engines, HIPS based protection, and numerous other great features. I was glad to find Glasswire as it offers some similar functionality.

If you like, I believe I still have their final installer, though it should also be available online such as at TechSpot.

Please know this is not criticism, rather a humble request to help Glasswire grow into a truly great firewall that will easily outclass others.

@Tarun

Thanks, I will check it out. Also you can message me in the forum privately by clicking on my name here.

I’ve also got this issue. This is really annoying, switched from Bitdefender firewall to Glasswire because of constant pop-ups. Now I’m getting constant pop-ups on Glasswire, I’ll need to get a refund and look at another solution if this can’t be solved. Allowing blocking of entire folders would also cover this

@mattios

In case you did not know you can switch to GlassWire’s “Click to block” mode instead of “Ask to connect” and get no allow/deny connection alerts at all.

You can also create new profiles to help avoid allow/deny alerts. Click the “create profile” option in the top middle of the firewall screen.

These allow/deny connection alerts are completely optional and most people don’t have this mode turned on. It’s true, the more new applications you download that access the network, the more allow/deny connection alerts you will get.

When we designed GlassWire we also agreed all these allow/deny connections can be annoying. Therefore we made our default “Click to block” mode that by default still tells you about “new” connections, but does not keep the notification on the screen permanently while not forcing you to take any action.

https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Firewall_Tab

If you don’t like our security alerts you can also disable those completely. Go to the top left GlassWire menu and choose “settings” then “security” and disable any alerts you don’t like.

Or just disable all desktop alerts all together under our general settings.

I appreciate the response but this doesn’t help, the only reason to pay for a firewall like this is to have complete control over every connection as and when they occur. The issue is having to repeatedly allow the same program over and over again

@mattios

Just to be clear, GlassWire doesn’t make you repeatedly allow the same program over and over. It makes you allow only new applications. When a program/application changes it is no longer the same thing. For example malware could do something to your allowed application and change it.

Currently GlassWire detects when an application has changed, then you should once again allow the application. Most firewalls work this way.

Unfortunately allowing any application with the same name to access the network isn’t a serious solution because someone could put malware on your PC and call it the name of a popular program and it could do whatever it wants.

For example I could call malware chrome.exe, then it would just bypass our “Ask to connect” mode.

There are some solutions posted above, for example our default “Click to block” mode. Meanwhile we’ll consider making signed certificates an option.

But even if we do use signed certificates if you choose to use “Ask to connect” mode and if you choose to install a lot of different applications all the time you will continue to get “Ask to connect” prompts. So if this is the type of thing you do then we’d recommend our “Click to block” mode that we originally made as a solution to the problem for people who don’t want a lot of prompts, but who still want to see what’s going on with their PC in real-time.

Hi,
I have the same issue with Citrix Receiver. There is an upgrade check process started from Firefox plugin which constanly trigger Glasswire with new connection. Please provide solution for this issue.

To be clear, I consciously do not want this process connect to internet.

@Ken_GlassWire how about a notification blacklist? A way to disable notifications for applications with the same names or hashes as already blocked or allowed applications? That will resolve these annoying repeat popups.

We don’t even get an “Application details changed” notification for the Visual Studio Background Downloader… It doesn’t matter how many times you block or allow it, it keeps popping up. We do want the other notifications, just not this one.

2 Likes

is there anything new to this topic?
I am still having the same Problem…
Visual Studio Background Downloader pops up every 30 mins

Thanks!

Bumpidy bump bump bump

How about an option to not be asked to allow or deny any connections based on a key string - Visual Studio Background downloader, in the name?

It so annoying that I have to clear the Visual Studio Background Downloader pops up 10 times a day
Can you address this specific software instead of all

Go into windows settings>system>notifications and search for visual studio and turn it off.

This doesn’t help. The popup comes from Glasswire not Visual Studio. The problem is that VS downloads a background updater when the computer is idle so at the moment whenever I lock my screen and come back in a moment I’ve a new popup from glasswire asking for permissions. This is very annoying and I think that’s something Glasswire really needs to address either by certificates or in some other way. Best would be certificate + name in this case.