UWP games account login issues

Hello!

I have my Glasswire Firewall set to ‘Ask to connect’, but for some reason, whenever I play UWP games from the microsoft store (and recently the Xbox Games Pass), these games refuse to connect to my Microsoft profile, unless I turn the firewall off.
I have, ofcourse, given the games permission through the popups that Glasswire gives me and I don’t see any blocked applications in the list either.

I can work around it by disabling my firewall when I play a UWP game, but this does not have my preference, ofcourse!

Has anyone else encountered similar issues or have any ideas on how to resolve this?

1 Like

@Gytax

If an app is behaving strangely and won’t appear on “Ask to connect” one thing you can do instead is to create a “Profile”.
https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Firewall_Tab

With your Profile make sure the apps are unblocked, then switch “Ask to connect” back on.

It’s unusual for apps not to appear in “Ask to connect” but it can happen with some unusual apps types and creating a firewall profile is usually an easy solution.

2 Likes

Hey @Ken_GlassWire ,

Thanks so much for the fast reply!
I’ve just created a new profile, with default settings and turned on ask to connect.
As I expected, my game will ask for permissions, but the account functionality still does not work.

I get that it’s very unusual for an app to not appear. I think it’s something inside the Windows/Xbox profile integration that’s not asking for access. I suspect that it’s one thing that I have to find and then allow that through the firewall and all is good. But I cannot find what it is.
Does Glasswire write logs of it’s own or can I use the default Windows Firewall logs to check if that shows anything that was blocked?

A small update after some investigation I think it might be related to Teredo.
I found this another issue posted on this forum: forum. glasswire .com/t/issue-fixed-win10-teredo-ipv6/8820, but sadly that does not fix the issue for me.

@Gytax

Hello,

I thought perhaps if you created a profile where your game worked and it’s unblocked in “Ask to connect” it might solve the issue.

Could you give us details on what games aren’t working in “Ask to connect”? We can then ask our quality assurance team to test.

@Ken_GlassWire

I’ve encountered it before in the game Gears 5, thinking it was a singled out issue with that game, I didn’t spend that much time on it.
I got Xbox Games Pass this weekend and have encountered the issue so far with these games:

• Lonely Mountains: Downhill - game crashes when ‘Loading Profile’ shows up, it’s fine if I disable ask to connect
  • Rage 2 - Game plays fine, but the in-game store will not connect, resulting in me not getting any achievements. When I disable ask to connect, the store loads fine and I get achievements.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Same problem with Halo MCC, when firewall is on after splash screen Windows Store will pop up asking to buy game. If firewall is off everything works fine.

Welcome Aboard Aealo!

@Aealo

We will try to recreate this. Thanks for your report and Happy New Year.

1 Like

@Gytax @Aealo, did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue with F1 2019.

1 Like

@Tag Nope, I never figured it out. I ended up just setting the firewall to click to block whenever I play UWP games.

Oof, okay, thanks for the update. Not ideal, but at least there’s a workaround. When you change back to “Ask to Connect”, are all of the applications that accessed the network during “Click to Block” granted permanent access? In addition to the extra clicks, combing through all of the new applications after I’m done gaming seems like a headache. I wonder if turning the firewall off while gaming is a better solution.

Did you try making a firewall profile?

Go to the top middle of the firewall screen and click “Firewall profiles”. I think you could make a profile that blocks everything but UWP games while in “Click to block” for example.

@Tag That’s a good question, I don’t really know. Most of my applications already have access, so besides the game there is not much new trying to get access. I would assume not all of the applications are suddenly granted access through your firewall though, it’s not like a ‘training’ mode afaik. Glasswire folks can answer that question better than I can though!

1 Like

I tried using a profile. F1 2019 connects in “Click To Block” mode, but no new applications show up in the firewall section. When I switch back to “Ask To Connect” mode, F1 2019 loses its connection. I would also be interested in logs to see what’s being blocked.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

There are some challenges with the API we use and UWP.

It’s also worth noting that other Game Pass games are not affected, e.g. Forza Horizon 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0.

We are now actively working on a solution.

1 Like

@Ken_GlassWire any updates? I’d love to leave my firewall on while gaming.

We’re still working on it, sorry for the delay. Microsoft makes this a bit complicated on our end.

1 Like

hi, Sadly I’m also having this issue with ‘Ask to connect’ and had it with Halo MCC when it first launched.

The following games are affected on Xbox Game Pass (All UWP and mounting via virtual drives):
Deep Rock Galatic
Gears of War 4
Gears 5
Forza Horizon 4

I’m guessing it’s because it cant see where the executable exists?
Can you fix it by having an ’ attempting to use port ’ dialogue box we can allow?

also, you mentioned about creating a profile for it, can we do that for an unknown executable?

1 Like