Windows 10 BSOD while using Glasswire 2.3.317

Hi,

I’ve received a BSOD yesterday when I rebooted my machine, I ran WhoCrashed which indicated the problem was caused by the following driver [gwdrv.sys]

I don’t think this BSOD is limited to this version as I have had a crash before and they always state gwdrv as the reason for the crash.

Any help, advice on how to prevent these crashes would be appreciated.

Thanks

CRASH DUMP:
On Mon 17/05/2021 21:46:28 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\051721-9187-01.dmp
uptime: 12:07:09
This was probably caused by the following module: [gwdrv.sys]
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF88C718FEED0, 0xFFFFF88C718FEE28, 0x0)
Error: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE]
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\gwdrv.sys
product: [GlassWire]
company: [SecureMix LLC]
description: GlassWire Driver
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC).
Google query: [gwdrv.sys SecureMix LLC KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE]

@Higgsie

Sorry for the issue.

Do you see a .dmp file on your desktop? If GlassWire causes a crash then Windows itself should generate a .dmp file with clues to why GlassWire crashed. We can then analyze the file and learn what happened.

Hi Ken,

My PC is configured to put dump files in the following locations:

C:\Windows
C:\WIndows\Minidump

Do you have a location I can upload the dump files?

Thanks, Martyn

@Higgsie

This issue is usually caused by a database corruption. Unfortunately the fix would be to uninstall our app, reboot, then reinstall using the “clean install” option. This would lose your history/settings but it may solve the problem.

Also, please note we will have an update out this week and it may also solve your issue. I’ll announce the update here in our forum when it’s live.

Please email .dmp files to Contact GlassWire and use a third party cloud service to send it like Google Drive or Dropbox. I recommend waiting until our next update to do this though because it’s possible the update will solve your issue and it won’t be very useful for us to look at a .dmp file for an old version of GlassWire.

Was 2.3.317 a beta? I don’t see it listed here:

https://www.glasswire.com/changes/

Hi, It was an email invite dated 13/05/2021 it wasn’t badged as a beta just try before it is fully released, I think I will uninstall this version and install 2.3.318,

Try GlassWire 2.3.317 first!

We’re preparing to release a major new update of GlassWire for Windows. GlassWire 2.3.317 has a completely new improved and redesigned “Things” list. Click “Things” to check it out and give us feedback.

1 Like

GlassWire 2.3.318 is now available.

1 Like

well 323 is installed and it still crashes often

Sorry @RonS. Did you try any of the suggestions above?

I actually ended up after trying everything to remove Glasswire from my system.
Will see if the problems reoccure…
If there are no crashes in that period then it was for sure Glasswire.
It actually crashed so bad that it took me an hour to get the machine to boot back into W10

@RonS

Was there a .dmp file on your desktop? If so it was GlassWire. You could send this .dmp to us and we could investigate. The .dmp is actually generated by Windows itself if you had one.

If there was no GlassWire.dmp then it was most likely not GlassWire.

Hi,

I overcome the crash by using REVO to fully remove GlassWire then I installed the latest version.

No more issues so support ticket can be closed.

Thanks, Martyn

1 Like

Hi-
I am new to GlassWire and the GlassWire forum. For some time, I have been experiencing BSOD errors causing my Lenovo desktop to freeze, give a blue screen with a short countdown to a reboot.
I did some research, and concluded it was most likely a driver, so I obtained Driver Easy and it updated 20 drivers. Shortly later, I still experienced the problem.
I notified Driver Easy and they had me send my dmp files.
Easy Driver Support came back and said:

"Hi-

Thanks for the minidump files sent back.

They all indicated that this program, GlassWire, is causing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) blue screen of death error.

So maybe you can first try to update this program to the latest version first? Here’s the information about the latest build for your reference: [link removed]

If this doesn’t help, you may need to remove this program as instructed here: [link removed]

After that, you need to make sure that the gwdrv.sys file is also removed from this folder: [link removed]
Please feel free to let us know how the above works for you."

After reading multiple posts about BSOD errors on the GW forum, I have the following suggestions/comments

1. I apparently have an up to date version of GW even though Windows tells me the install date is 3/8/2022 as I am getting the BSOD and dump files are pointing to GW.
  2. On your forum it was unclear whether I should reply to the most recent BSOD related post (10 months ago) or start anew. I decided to reply to post.
  3. I would suggest that forum posts search results
    be posted in most recent first order, displaying the whole date at the top of each post.
  4. User Higgsie used REVO to do a complete remove of GW before reinstalling, and that apparently solved his issue. I don’t understand why a year later, with the most recent version 2.3.397 installed on 3/8/22 according to Windows, I am getting the BSOD error and Driver Easy says dumps point to GW.
  5. I got a BSOD this morning. Am still using the version Driver Easy used to look at the dumps.
    Looking at GW version list, the most recent is February 21, 2022. Looks like a complete uninstall and reinstall will be required, which I will do. But why would I get this error requiring a clean install a year after Higgsie? Ken_GlassWire says “The issue is usually caused by a database corruption.”
    What database, and what is causing the corruption? Seems like the underlying problem, maybe the reason for a corrupt database, hasn’t yet been identified and fixed by GW.

I’ll let the forum know the result.

[links removed because I am a new user]

I used Revo to uninstall Glasswire completely, and then did a clean install. On May 18th, next day, I experienced a BSOD again. Is there an answer to what corrupts the Glasswire database? I just paid for GlassWire. My son says I should delete Glasswire and ask for my money back.

I got Glasswire because my ISP, Cox, said I went 500GB over my data included which is 1480GB, in February. (March and April were way less-I think Cox had problem with measuring my data.) I was never able to identify anything I was doing that would use so much data. But because of BSOD errors, I haven’t been able to learn Glasswire enough to see the details of what is using data.

I put the mini-graph on my desktop but have no idea what it means. My plan was to use Who Crashed by Resplendence to look for myself. I have the latest Win10 home. I have the latest GlassWire. Question is, why am I still getting this error? Help!