GlassWire 2.2.304 now available. Please update!

GlassWire 2.2.304 is now available for download.

What’s New?
Significant resource usage and stability improvements along with some bug fixes.

Change List Details
Fixed a bug that could cause high CPU usage for some users in some situations.
Fixed a bug that could cause GlassWire’s service to crash.
Fixed a bug that caused the firewall profiles to not change color on mouse over.
Fixed an issue where the mouse would not behave as expected in some situations in GlassWire’s UI.
Improved keyboard scrolling in GlassWire’s alerts tab.
Made a firewall change to solve a Windows Defender false positive related to “ask to connect” and “block all” firewall modes in GlassWire.

Please install and give us your feedback.

2 Likes

Just a reminder that this update is now available. Please let me know if you run into any issues so I can help.

Just installed and found that my Things labels have disappeared again. This may not have been caused by the update.

1 Like

Sorry, I will ask our QA to double check and see if they can reproduce Things labels disappearing.

FYI: I added some labels to my “Things”, installed this update and the labels are still there.

Once again, all firewall settings gone. During the installation I monitored this folder: C:\ProgramData\GlassWire When it got to the data backuo portion of the install it created this folder, C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service.backup_2021.02.26-15.23.14, that folder was created empty. It then deleted this folder: C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service-full, The service-full folder was then recreated empty as if it was starting from scratch. Is there a stuck registry entry or config file entry that is telling the program to wipe out that service-full folder?

1 Like

Things labels and firewall settings all OK for me after upgrading.

Since updating to 2.2.304 I now have the Glasswire Control Service using a constant 11% CPU Usage. Any idea what could be causing this?

I am using a registered version of the application I bought a few years back.

@Shaun_Laubscher

Sorry for the issue.

The new version should use less resources. Is anything different with your PC besides the update with GlassWire? Are you running Bittorrent? Do you see anything on our graph that is making GlassWire work hard? For example an app using a lot of data or connecting to many hosts simultaneously?

Honestly, I am not sure. I updated Glasswire a few days back but only just noticed this issue yesterday.

Nope.

Ok, so I closed Glasswire, then stopped the service. After a few seconds I resumed the service (without even re-opening the app) and this is what I see:

It seems to be a perpetual 11% (or so) CPU Usage which is odd.

FYI, I am not using the Firewall option.

EDIT: I just tried closing every single open application i.e. actively running as well as ones running in the background in the system tray etc. to no avail. Still using the same (roughly) 11% CPU usage. :thinking:

@Shaun_Laubscher

Are you in “ask to connect”?

You could make logs to help us find the issue.

-Stop the GlassWire service via the TaskManager. (it appears it’s already stopped for you)
-Open C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service-full (or -lite, depends on the version the user runs). - In your case I believe it’s full.
-Open glasswire.conf as administrator.
-Set the following parameters and save the file:

LogLevel = 255
LogEnabled = true

Start the GlassWire service via the TaskManager.
Repeat the problem.

Send us the logs from C:\ProgramData/glasswire/service-full/log (or service-lite, depends on the version)
Contact GlassWire - Please include a link to this thread.

We have found some obscure games will sometimes try to connect every single second with “ask to connect” mode on. Could you have some games like this running or installed that have this behavior? It can cause this kind of issue, but the games that do this are quite obscure. I only know about this because we had one other customer with this issue and the logs helped us find that weird game.

Thanks for helping us find this issue.

Oops, sorry I see now your firewall is not in use.

1 Like

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the thorough advice, if I had been using the Firewall it would most certainly have been useful information. I love it when support goes into detail like this, really makes trying to figure out an issue that much easier :slight_smile:

I do believe I have found the source of the problem though. I did have uTorrent grabbing something in the early hours of the morning (I checked my history). I closed it to check to see if it was the source of the issue (after which I sent through that Task Manager snippet), but nothing changed once it had been closed (and I had restarted the service) however after rebooting my PC the problem has now gone away.

I am going to try and download a bunch of random stuff via uTorrent quick and see if the same thing happens. If so, then I believe the service is somehow getting ‘stuck’ in place of resetting once the offending (in this case, probably uTorrent) app has been closed/stopped.

I will monitor over the next hour and let you know what happens :slight_smile:

Ok, after more than an hour of testing it seems as if the previous behaviour was a one off. Will let you know if it happens again in the future. I should really have listened to my own usual advice i.e. ‘turn it off and on again’ :laughing:

1 Like

@Shaun_Laubscher

For Bittorrent users we recommend our “lite” software. Details on how it works and how to get it are here.
https://blog.glasswire.com/2020/10/06/introducing-glasswire-lite/

Bittorrent connects to thousands of hosts simultaneously. GlassWire’s job (for our full version) is to keep track of all your hosts, so to do its job with Bittorrent it must work very hard for you and using some CPU to do that is normal. Our “lite” version doesn’t keep track of hosts, so it shouldn’t have this issue.

And of course I dont even get responses anymore for this unresolved issue.

I’m very sorry for the issue.

The issue is due to a bug we had, then fixed with 2.2.260 with the details documented in the change list. GlassWire Software Version Changes List

I apologize that this happened to you and we will work to make sure this issue does not happen in the future. We are not perfect and we will probably never have bug-free software, but we will try to get as close to bug-free as possible.

Here we go with the canned response replies again. IT WAS NOT FIXED IN 2.2.260 as I just clearly stated that it happened AGAIN in 2.2.304. It has persisted through every version since the bug was introduced. Did you even read my reply, Im looking for actual real solutions, not this insulting garbage reply I get every single time this issue happens. Ive described in detail numerous times what happens and at what point in the installation the issue happens and you do nothing with that information.

@Anjoland

I will follow up with our QA again, but we could not reproduce the issue where the problem continues even after implementing the instructions for the fix.

Since we could not recreate the problem after following the instructions for the fix we are not sure what to suggest to you next.

I am still on 2.2.241 here and rarely come to the forums. I assume that the update when the bugs are ironed out that the update will be pushed out?

@frustrated

Yes, we plan to alert users around the middle of this month.