GlassWire for MacOS

I look forward to it already. I have it for more than 3 years
And this is the answer of more than 3 years ago
We are working on a Mac version, but Android is probably the first.

1 Like

Any updates on this? Just got a new MacBook and really want this on my Mac!

Still working on it. Sorry for the delay.

Ken, what does the timeline look like now?

As you can see from the forum posts I am always wrong, so I will refrain from guessing. I hope soon though!

1 Like

Yeah, software development timelines nearly always look overly optimistic but only with hindsight.

1 Like

I just got a 3 year subscription from StackSocial for 10 devices. Do you know if my license will cover Mac or will I have to buy another license for the mac?

You donā€™t need to spend more money as discussed above.

1 Like

@Ken_GlassWire are we months or quarters away?

2 Likes

When are we finally going to see this wonder on the Mac?

1 Like

Just assume never at this point. Itā€™s been 3 years pretty muchā€¦ Plenty of time to develop software. Obviously not a priority in any way. Sorry to sound harsh but its sort of a bad joke at this point with all the promises. Assume never and when it launches in 2025 weā€™ll be surprisedā€¦

3 Likes

In fact, what your saying sounds very true. I canā€™t even join there emailing list for the beta versionā€¦

Fingers crossed!

@m0dus

What error are you seeing? We have not changed anything with our email list at all. Could you post a screenshot or email it to me?
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

It would be great to know what OS and browser you are using, and what exactly is wrong. Our Mac announcement email list is still functioning with absolutely no changes by us at all.

Youā€™re right. That is very harsh.

You are also right that it has been three years since the first proposed release date for late 2016. After missing that set of dates, they pulled back from further commitments for two years.

A kinder analysis would be that weā€™re really only one year late because the first firm release date I can find was only given a year ago in January 2019. They definitely missed their 2019 target so they now appear to again be reluctant to put up any new date. But it would be helpful to know if a working app exists and if it being live tested.

Just remember that this is a small company with a limited resources so there have to be some compromises. Long lead times are one of those compromises. They also want the Mac version to be out ASAP but they canā€™t avoid the hard realities of developing network security software for additional platforms with the added complexity of the platforms frequently upgrading their security policies.

The development pathway has been long considering that the Android version was mentioned in February 2017 and arrived later that year. But it made sense for the Android app to be completed before the Mac version because of its higher market share.

Hereā€™s the timeline:

• August - Waiting to see if Windows version is successful.

• April - Thinking about it.
  • November - Working on it.

• April - Hoping to have beta out in October-December
  • October - Maybe beta in January.

• February - Not committing to any dates for Mac version.

• No news

• January - Commit to mid-2019
  • May - Mac version is delayed. Maybe get another developer.
  • September - By year end. Confirmed.

• No dates since.
2 Likes

I can confirm we are actively working on a MacOS version of GlassWire. If we ever terminate the project I will post it here and lock this thread.

The primary issue is that we have no reliable conception of what you mean in terms of a possible delivery date. Thatā€™s why you receive comments like think never and then get a pleasant surprise if it happens.

• Why were such firm 2019 dates missed?

• What test phase are you in e.g. unit testing, system testing, alpha testing or beta testing?

• Has a prototype packaged application ever existed for complete system testing?

1 Like

@Remah

2019 dates were missed because we had trouble with the backend of the app.

The UI is actually pretty much doneā€¦ but we are still in backend development mode. So not even really testing at all.

Nope, no prototype has existed because we are having trouble with the backend that makes it work. Sorry!

1 Like

By backend, do you mean the equivalent of the Windows Filtering Platform (WPF) on your Windows version?

There is a lot more to it than that. Storing data, detecting changes, Things, etcā€¦

Basically the backend that makes it work is still under development.

So do you mean that there is not a lot of ā€œbackendā€ code shared with the Windows version?

You are going to be criticized whatever you do. But can you get out a limited version e.g. with just data monitoring to start with.

1 Like