GlassWire for MacOS

@Ken_GlassWire

Any updates/progress?

Apple recently made some MacOS changes that may make GlassWire for MacOS impossible.

We’re fortunate we didn’t have an actual version of GlassWire for MacOS already, otherwise it would have probably stopped working completely and we’d have no way to replace that work.

What about apple’s network API, also take a look at merdata which many consider an alternative. :grinning:

When I search for that I don’t see anything?

Sorry i means netdata, in there software they have a networking section

I’m running Glasswire on a VM on my Mac and it works just fine, but what I’d like is an agent to run on my Mac. An actual Mac application is secondary.
Or…
As a cloud service.

:frowning: Is this still coming out? I really need this. :frowning:

2+ years after the developer responded with a maybe soon, nothing is here yet. A beta email button that doesn’t work. I mention it in Linus’ comments every video he promotes it lol

If you need good software, use this for Mac

codebox(.)net/pages/bitmeteros

remove parenthesis

Ken, is anything being worked on a version of Glasswire for Mac? Back in March 2020, you stated that Malwarebytes was having similar issues that you were having with the version of Glasswire for Mac.

I just checked Malwarebytes and it seems that they have updated their programs to work with Mac OS, even MacOS version 11, Big Sur.

Is there any chance that you could be able to work on the Mac version and bring it to a finished product?

@rodwslc

We had major work for MacOS done, but Apple made a lot of unexpected changes to the OS with no warning. Our team had a similar experience with another project we worked on in the past with a Mac version. We’re still discussing options.

I think all firewalls on MacOS are bypassed anyway with their current MacOS version. They built this in with no warnings to developers. What’s to stop them from just breaking all firewalls 100% with no warning?

1 Like

@Ken_GlassWire
hey just jumping in on this thread, ive seen that apple has removed that firewall bypassing since your last comment, maybe check it out if you havent already -
patreon(.)com/posts/46179028

apple has removed the yucky “ContentFilterExclusionList”
hopefull that means atleast a bit of good news for glasswire on mac? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great news! I hope they continue to make MacOS work that way. I think the issue for us is that their behavior is so random and they treat their developers like garbage, but we’ll keep considering a MacOS GlassWire version.

1 Like

作为一个mac用户,我挺希望能够安装上你们的防火墙。

我希望有一天能做到。Thank you.

If and when GlassWire becomes available for MacOS. Will it be compatible with Mac OS X High Sierra? I’m still using my MacBook Pro 17 inch Late 2011 2.5ghz. Will there be an Open Beta test and how can I join?

So you are not actively developing a Mac version, only now considering it?

Most of the user interface work is completed, but the backend work with the OS was wasted because Apple made unexpected changes to their OS with no warning.

So now we have the interface work, but nothing to make it function. We’re watching carefully to see if Apple will continue supporting MacOS, or if they plan to make future MacOS versions just based on iOS before we put time into doing this.

It kind of feels like Apple is just slowly switching MacOS users over to iOS, for example they recently made it where iOS apps run in MacOS. They are also making MacOS look more and more like iOS and removing functionality for developers.

So it makes us wonder if we should focus on iOS? Is MacOS coming to a dead end? What’s your opinion?

Why do you think this iOS can replace MacOS?

iOS is simply missing too much in its architecture to make it useful as a server operating system platform. At present, MacOS is designed for this from the kernel upwards whereas iOS/iPadOS is not.

What I have seen is iOS being upgraded to become a platform able to run the same application on both platforms. At the same time MacOS is receiving the ability to run iOS apps. As the following Verge article says, such application compatibility is a very different goal than replacing the MacOS with iOS. That goal would require iOS to be retro-fitted with a much more capable kernel. Why would they need to do that if MacOS can run the iPad apps anyway?

The first step has been for OS software to converge by focusing on iOS application-compatibility. This step is well underway.

The second step is to converge the two hardware platforms so application compatibility will be provided natively. This means that the hardware for both OS has the same instruction-set for software to use. In other words, the CPUs will speak the same language. Apple’s plan to developing its own CPU range will provide this.

Maybe iOS cannot replace MacOS, but iPadOS is getting very close now. It already has a dock, mouse support, etc… iPadOS 17 - Apple

I’m not trying to be negative about it, but I honestly believe they may just make MacOS something like iPadOS, but for keyboard/mouse devices. Others believe it too The day iOS replaces macOS is closer than you think | by Ronald Chen | Medium.

So should we make GlassWire for iOS/iPadOS, or MacOS, and does iOS/iPadOS even allow us to build something like GlassWire? And even if it does now, will they take away that functionality in the future?