Issue with Glasswire and Flight Simulator

Hi all,
i got a strange issue with Glasswire Elite v 2.2.210 running on Win 101909 and the new Microsoft Flight Simulator release.
Flight simulator isn’t able to connect to the internet and can’t download additional files.
I have turned the GW Firewall to on and to Ask to Connect.
I was expecting a popup from GW to allow Flightsimulator.exe to connect, but nothing popped up.
Only when i turn of the GW firewall completely (by pressing the on/off button in the firewall tab) Flightsimulator is able to connect.
The strange thing is, flightsimulator.exe doesn’t even register in Glasswire. I can see in Windows Task Manager / Resource monitor that flightsimulator.exe is connecting and generating large amounts of traffic, but in Glasswire it doesn’T show up on the traffic graph at all.
I already clean-installed glasswire (including resetting of the windows firewall rules) to no avail.
Any idea what is going on here?
Thx
shadeless

QUICK EDIT:
if i enable the GW firewall in whilst Flight Simulator is downloading the game files, the download fails. So Glasswire does have some impact on the Flight simulator application, it just seems to be invisible to the user…

@shadeless

Where can we download this game? Thanks for your report.

Thanks for your reply Ken.
You can download it from the MS app store -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-flight-simulator/9nrrjllxm68v?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

either you buy it or you get it as part of the microsoft game pass subscription (which would be cheaper for testing purposes)

The game then gets downloaded as a ~1GB bundle from the MS store which works fine. Then you launch the game and it tries to download the remainder of the package. And that is where the issue is. (game process not recognized by GW)

@shadeless

Thank you. We will get the game and see what’s going on.

GlassWire uses a network API for monitoring network traffic that’s provided by Microsoft. It’s really weird if it somehow doesn’t detect something after a reboot.

The only time GlassWire might not detect something is if you’re streaming video or music right when GlassWire is installed. That’s why we ask you to reboot after installation but we don’t force it. I think this does not apply to you but I’m including this information for others who may read this in the future.

@shadeless

FYI, we just released an update this morning. Can you try the update and see if the problem goes away?

Thanks, I will try the update later today.

Yeah i definitely thought that maybe GW didn’t detect the launch of the app so i tried to reinstall gw, reboot and relaunch the app many times.

Interested to see if you can replicate this.

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

1 Like

Just updated to 2.2.241 and it’s now displaying the app and data transfer!

1 Like

@bebramsa

I’m glad it’s working for you. Hopefully @shadeless will see the same. Nice skin by the way. :+1:

Ok so I downloaded the new GW version and flightsimulator.exe is now shown and traffic is logged - but only when Firewall is disabled! So not really fixed unfortunately :frowning:

Here is what I did/steps to reproduce:

• I finished downloading Flightsimulator with the old version with GW Firewall turned off. After the dl had finished, I closed the game.

• I installed the new version 2.2.241 over the old version. In the install dialog, i chose clean install and reset ms firewall (sorry don’t remember the exact wording)

• I started GW and turned on the firewall and enabled ask to connect

• I launched Flight Simulator and got the GW popup that asked me to either allow or deny access.

• I pressed allow in the popup. The game continued launching but had no network connectivity.

• I restarted the game because sometimes if you don’T give an application access in time, it times out. But restarting didn’t help - still no connectivity. I closed Flight simulator again

• I turned Firewall off in the glasswire settings and launched FS

• now i got the “first network activity popup” from glasswire and suddenly, the traffic was logged in the graph. The game had network connectivity again.

• So i closed the game again, re-enabled firewall and launched it. But the same issue as before occured - no more traffic in the graph and the game had no connection.

So in conclusion, as soon as the firewall is turned on, traffic doesn’t get registered and the game has no connection. When FW is turned off, everything is fine and paradoxically, the traffic is registered.

One strange thing I noticed is, that the application path is messed up or doesn’t resolve like the other apps, Virustotal analysis also fails:
gw_fs

Any ideas?

1 Like

@shadeless

The firewall is in no way connected to traffic monitoring, so what you’re saying should be technically impossible. Firewall settings should not matter when it comes to monitoring traffic because it’s a completely different API that’s used and it can’t cause issues with the network monitoring. It’s more likely there just isn’t any traffic because the game is blocked.

@bebramsa Is your firewall on or off?

I will report this to our team. Thanks for these details.

@Ken_GlassWire I haven’t enabled the firewall yet, I’ll test it out later if I get a chance!

1 Like

From an old fan of MS Flight Simulator, I thought MS shut down the Windows game studios years ago? Any news to share?

Hello. Thank you for a great program.

I have the excact same issue with Flight Sim, firewall enabled, ask to connect.
Glasswire 2.2.210
Windows 10 - 2004 (Build 19041.450)

1 Like

@conanandre @bebramsa @shadeless

We need your help to solve the issue. We see the game is paid, so we see we need to buy it to test. We were hoping maybe you could help us before we buy the game. Could you send us logs?

Hey Ken,

i tried collecting logs, but after stopping GlassWire Control service, placing log.conf, starting everything again and reproducing the issue, the log folder is empty.
I think I did everything correctly, also tried specifying a different path within log.conf.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Is it possible the .conf file you created ends in .txt? It should end in .conf.

It is definitely ending in .conf, i have file extensions enabled always (you can see the other extensions in the screenshot).
Log level -1 is correct, right?

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. I will ask our team if they have some ideas.

1 Like

Same problem here, when the firewall is on it doesn’t connect even releasing MFS 2020.

1 Like

@fernandokvb

In case you missed it, please be sure you’re using our latest software. It does solve the issue for some problems with this game, but not all the issues.

We are actively investigating this issue.