Stuck 'Loading Data' on 1.2.74 & 1.2.79 - Possible bug?

Possible bug ,have been running Glasswire (free) on Win10 64Bit Pre Anniversary edition (1511) for a while and have recently started noticing a blank graph with ‘loading data’ at the bottom. Also running this on a post 1604 Anniversary Win10 64bit machine without issue.

Issue is almost identical to the topic started by Remah titled Bug 1.1.47b stuck loading data for daily 24 hour view of usage and graph (sorry, cant post link as I’m a new user [Link added by Remah]) however I am unable to restart the service. It appears to get stuck in a ‘stopping’ state and can not be recovered. Rebooting the PC fixes the problem temporarily and I cant see anything in event viewer relating to glasswire…

Any suggestions welcome.

1 Like

@longsh07

We just released an update this morning. Please download and install it using its “clean” option and I hope it fixes your problem.

Thanks Ken!
So far so good with the new version. Will keep an eye on it and update if the issue returns.
I did have trouble performing the clean install but I believe this to be linked with the service getting stuck. Unfortunately I forgot to make a note of the exact error but it was along the lines of the uninstaller being unable to access one of the exe’s in C:\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire. I believe it may have been GWCtlSrv.exe.

Edit: Should have mentioned, I cancelled the installer after getting the error, did a reboot, then continued with a clean install without issue.

No problems so far since updating to 1.2.79.
Thanks for your help.

Clearly spoke to soon. The problem has returned.

Graph Screen - 5m and 3h shows ‘Loading Data’. Month/Week/24hrs shows data but stops at 1pm on the 24th Nov.
Usage Screen - Completely blank on day view but shows some historical data (week/month)
Same symptoms as before.

Close Glasswire and check service. Service shows as running but unable to stop or restart it with error:

'Windows could not stop the GlassWire Control Service service on local Computer.

Error 1061: The service cannot accept control messages at this time’.

Workaround
Killing GWCtlSrv.exe from task manager stops the service and allows it to manually be restarted.
Reopening GlassWire then works correctly.

Starting to think this was an issue caused by Windows 10.
What was a daily occurrence seems to have suddenly stopped without any input from myself.
Will continue to monitor but I think this may be resolved now.

@longsh07

Do you have any dmp files on your desktop? We found a bug that causes some users to crash in certain situations. We plan to have an update out soon and I recommend installing a clean install with that update.

Hi Ken,
No not seeing any dmp files.
The program itself does not crash but instead it is the glasswire service that becomes stopped.
I think the issue may be resolved but I’ll certainly give the update with clean install a go when it’s released.

i’m also facing the same problem.

We think we found this bug and we plan to release an update soon!

This problem with stuck “loading data” - I had it on several versions of GlassWire - appears to have disappeared since I upgraded my main computer to Windows 10 1607. So I took notice when you said that you are still running 1511. As far as I can tell all my major problems such as data not logging have disappeared since I upgraded to Windows 10 1607 on both my computers running GlassWire.

Does anyone else have information for or against the idea that these problems are mainly or only on Windows 10 version 1511?
@Kittens, does this idea appear to have any relevance to your problem:

Mine also “Windows 10 1607” so, i think we are having this problem because of recent windows update?

No, this problem only happens to a tiny subset of our users. We will have an update out soon.

My problems were with 1511. I have had no problems with 1607.

I am havin the same bug on Glasswire 1.2.88 on Windows 10 Home Build 1607.

Sometimes it gets stuck on “Loading Data” after a reboot and other times it happens randomly after a while (sometimes it takes hours before it happens).

Especially I have seen it happen when I am playing the game “Life is Strange”, although I honestly do not think there is a connection there. One thing I did notice, however, is that my Nvidia Driver sometimes has crashed, which almost always results in Glasswire stops working.

Often I can restart the Glasswire Service (which is stopped at this point) but a few times the service won’t start and I have to restart my PC.

@FlemmingDK

Please try upgrading your Nvidia drivers to the latest version.

Also, try uninstalling GlassWire, rebooting, then reinstalling our latest version with the “clean” option and see if it continues. Do you get any DMP files on the desktop? If not it may not be GlassWire crashing. If you do, please email them to our contact email address via a cloud service.

https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Following the Nvidia Driver Crashes, I already updated them to the latest version prior to installing 1.2.88. After experiencing Glasswire being stuck on “Loading Data” a few times, I did try to uninstall, reboot and do a clean install to see if that helped.

On versions 1.2.74 and 1.2.79 I had the DMP files created on my Desktop but it hasn’t happened in 1.2.88 yet (nor are they created the times when the Service cannot be started again and I have to reboot).

Earlier this morning I had this happen to me on a Windows Surface Pro 4 (stuck at Loading Data) but it was resolved by a quick restart of the Service.

Despite the bug, I am still very happy with Glasswire which has now become very essential to my Windows Installation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@FlemmingDK

Thanks for using GlassWIre! If you get another crash please look for any dmp files and send them our way, but we think we fixed the crashing problem with our latest update.

I have this bug on different PC. Win10 64, 1.2.96

@hosten

Sorry. Did you try uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling with the “clean” installer option?