Future Feature Requests!

Is there a certain feature you want to see in GlassWire? Post a reply to this thread, then “like” the other features you agree with.

Please mention if you’re talking about our Android app or our Windows app. Thanks!

8 Likes
  1. port monitoring for windows pcs
11 Likes

I originally posted this in March of 2016:

I have made one or two of these directly by email, but will post here for more public view.

Most important to me is an option to set a fixed vertical scale figure. As it is now, the graph is fairly useless. It tells me there is traffic, but I have to examine and do some rough transposition in my head to get a sense of speed. Cumbersome, particularly when the scale jumps around while I’m looking at it! With a fixed scale, I can get that sense in a quick glance.

Cosmetic: Would like to see “skin” option for red and green, pretty much standard for up and down traffic, respectively. The pink and green skin, while close, isn’t really either pink or green.

…snip…

Thanks for taking input.

I will include text from Remah’s excellent response with rationale:

Fixed scaling is easier to implement with longer timeframes
I can see why fixed scales are a problem with the “5 Minutes” view and possibly a problem with the “3 Hours” and “24 Hours” views. But I can’t see why they would be a problem with the “Week”, “Month”, or “Year” views which are so highly aggregated that graph scales vary much less. .

I suspect that most of the design focus is on what happens when fixed scaling the shorter time frames. But independent of the issue for shorter time frames, fixed scaling is worthwhile for many of us users who are as much interested in the long term view.

I have to view the scale and do a mental calculation every time I view the graph.
In terms of the shorter time frames, I want to be able to glance at the graph and see high usage. At present, I have to read the scale off the graph before I have any idea what level of traffic there is.

Normally, I’m only interested in the higher levels of traffic so it is a waste of time having to check the scale to find out whether the graph is showing significant throughput or not.

Here’s an example of how this could be useful. If my son is playing a particular online multiplayer game and I have traffic higher than 5Mbps then he will be impacted. We have a 100Mbps Internet connection and his traffic is low, but the issues arises from local Ethernet collisions and lack of quality QoS on our router. If he calls out, “Are you slowing me down?” then I can glance at a fixed-scale Graph or Mini Viewer and say “Yes” or “No”. At present, I have to look in more detail.

I have to view the graph to know what is really happening in the Mini Viewer
The lack of fixed scaling affects the Mini Viewer even more because there is no scale displayed in that window.

For those reasons, I don’t use the Graph much because it only has autoscaling so every “5 Minutes” or Mini Viewer graph looks much the same at a glance. To make use of that information, I have to first calculate the value on the scaled graph and, second, compare it with my “fixed” value threshold.

In practice, I don’t bother with the short-term graph view because the scaling changes so much. I use the usage view almost exclusively and don’t even bother with short-term time periods. This is much less than ideal because it tells me very little about what is happening right now and I still have to do a manual calculation if I want an hourly figure. But it is much easier to read a number and calculate once rather than having to read a graph and calculate twice.

With autoscaling I always have to check the graph scale even if I had looked at it only seconds earlier. By having a fixed scale, I avoid having to take the additional second or so to read the axis scale every time I view the graph.

What would help everyone is placing the axis scale, or another axis scale figure, at the leading edge of the graph which is where the action is - that is where my eyes are looking. At present, I look at the graph and focus on the far right, I then have to move my focus back to the far top left before returning to the far right. I have to do this every time I view the graph.

7 Likes

add specific app rule
opposed to doing that directly in windows firewall,
to solve standing issue with all portable apps.
or change the way apps are detected…

4 Likes

An easy way to find an application in the Firewall tab (alphabetical ordering or search function). This is the galley currently to modify a specific entry.

In addition, the small cross for deletion of an entry is difficult to find: it appears only by passing the mouse to a specific place on the line!

8 Likes

On Windows app :
BANDWICH MONITOR and your app will be the best !

3 Likes

As posted on 1 Mar 2017 in a thread entitled “Must Feature: High Contrast Black color scheme aka dark mode” (I’d post the link, but the board SW won’t let me).

replicated here for you convenience:

I’m visually impaired and GW’s polar bear in a blizzard (low contrast white) default (and ONLY) color scheme will not work for me. I’ve read about the skins, but they’re only applying to the graph colors is really a misuse of the term ‘skin’. The term ‘skin’ w.r.t. applications applies to the color scheme for the entire GUI for the application. Due to impaired vision I must use a high contrast black color scheme (ala what is available in Win10 by that same name). Your application should detect what OS GUI color scheme is in effect and tailor itself to match that color scheme as best it can, or at least allow the user to select alternate GUI color schemes (which MUST include ‘dark’ color schemes).

I’d love to buy the Pro version of your product, but I cannot do so until you offer a high contrast black complete GUI color scheme. I look forward to that coming soon. Thanks.

6 Likes

Hi
1.Ability to export Aplications IP Addresses
2.Show (+xx more ) in new seperated window
3.Ability to create custom skin

Tnx

3 Likes

And allowing users to choose the location (floating window / taskbar / both).
Current mini graph looks pretty nice but I still prefer exact numbers like 20171125_021234
(Realized I said the same thing way back in Mar, 15. /t/little-suggestion-speedometer-in-taskbar/928)

7 Likes

It would be nice if when GW is set to “Ask To Connect”, we could see the same detailed information of the app which is trying to connect as we see on the Firewall tab when we hover the cursor over the app icon.

Also, dark themes.

5 Likes

@XeidiDent

2.0 has more detailed info and it’ll be out in a couple weeks. Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

@Glasnet

To move your database to another HD please create a “glasswire.conf” file in notepad with these two lines only (the lines in quotes):
"# db_file_path=\glasswire.db
db_file_path=d:\glasswire\glasswire.db"

This file should be copied to the c:\programdata\glasswire\service folder
The database path is set to D:\glasswire\ folder in the file sample, but you can change the path to something else.

You should restart the GlassWire service when the file is copied.

1 Like

Export App traffic data and other statistics. Preferably by time.

3 Likes

Search function in Alert Tab or maybe in all tabs.

For example to find all Apache connections, or all connection with microsoft domain.

3 Likes

The ability to search by IP address/hostname or app in the usage tab. Ex: Say I know the offending IP and want to find who the associated app(s) are.

Also, the ability to scroll the apps and hosts lists (under the usage tab) when clicking the more links eliminating the need for the tiny pop-up in this scenario.

2 Likes

Ability to alert about bandwidth usage of specific apps, and [if possible] block them if they exceed a certain amount until user confirmation. E.g, the new backup software I’ve started using is quite terrible about magically adding new directories to backup, and it recently uploaded 100 GB of data that I did not want backed up. That is 1/10 my monthly bandwidth cap. It would have been great if I could tell Glasswire to monitor this app and if it exceeds X data in N days, block it and confirm with me. Or even just pop up an alert. Anything to let me know that something was sucking up all my bandwidth that I may not be aware of.

2 Likes

I agree that GlassWire should prevent the Windows Firewall from being modified externally. Simply delete any rule not created using it. Finally, there needs to be an exceptions list to maintain the default set of rules Windows Firewall comes with.

1 Like

Firewall: Instead of showing all of the blocked items at the top and making me scroll all the way down to see what is open it would make sense to put the blocked down below or better yet make a blocked tab in the firewall section.

And when unblocking and then wanting to X out the selection to remove it trying to find that little x way off in the middle of the screen is too much work. The x should be closer to the item name or name it, “remove” or something more obvious. I bet some people never even see that tiny x 5 miles away.

1 Like

I just installed 2.0 Beta. There is still no high contrast black UI color scheme. Fail.